Batch prime or individual prime for bottles

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used a syringe for the first time yesterday. I assume (rightly or wrongly) that the 'sugar first' idea was to eliminate the risk of sugar granules being left around the neck and lip of the bottles, risking either not being properly dissolved, or compromising the seal to the bottle top, I reckoned on 3g per bottle (cos that's what I put in with caster sugar), so allowing for a batch of 40, I weighed 3 x 40 = 120 g of sugar in a measuring jug, top up to 200 ml, and stirred until dissolved. Then I got two hits out of a 10 ml syringe, injecting 5 ml in each bottle. I did put the syrup in after the beer, but with two liquids I can't see it'd make much difference. Anyway, it was neater and quicker than using caster sugar, and obviously s bit more accurate, FWIW.

Last edited:
Can anyone recommend some scales that measure to an accuracy of 0.1gm

I can see lot's on Amazon - but some say the minimum is 0.5gms - then it goes up in 0.1gm increments. Others don't quote a minimum weight

Anyone know of scales that start at 0.1gms and then go up in 0.1 gm (or less) increments?

Thanks

PS. Before I receive any remarks otherwise, no I am not a drug dealer asad.

The one's that start at 0.5 and go up in 0.1's might serve if you add a known 0.5g (or greater) weight, if you see what I mean.

I suspect most need a minimum.

Can anyone recommend some scales that measure to an accuracy of 0.1gm

I can see lot's on Amazon - but some say the minimum is 0.5gms - then it goes up in 0.1gm increments. Others don't quote a minimum weight

Anyone know of scales that start at 0.1gms and then go up in 0.1 gm (or less) increments?

Thanks

PS. Before I receive any remarks otherwise, no I am not a drug dealer asad.
I've got the Salter Heston Blumenthal scales, one pad for weighing grain, another for weighing salts (and sugar if needed). Starts at 0.1g

I've recently changed from batch priming in a bottling bucket to making up a priming solution and using a syringe to put the same quantity into each bottle. The bottle straight from the FV.

Priming and bottling takes about an hour in total.

I used a syringe for the first time yesterday. I assume (rightly or wrongly) that the 'sugar first' idea was to eliminate the risk of sugar granules being left around the neck and lip of the bottles, risking either not being properly dissolved, or compromising the seal to the bottle top, I reckoned on 3g per bottle (cos that's what I put in with caster sugar), so allowing for a batch of 40, I weighed 3 x 40 = 120 g of sugar in a measuring jug, top up to 200 ml, and stirred until dissolved. Then I got two hits out of a 10 ml syringe, injecting 5 ml in each bottle. I did put the syrup in after the beer, but with two liquids I can't see it'd make much difference. Anyway, it was neater and quicker than using caster sugar, and obviously s bit more accurate, FWIW.
Did that work for you ?

Did that work for you ?

Seemed to work fine. I wanted a pretty 'strong' syrup solution cos I didn't want to add more water than necessary, and this way I only put 5 ml of syrup in each bottle. Took plenty of stirring, but it's doable to dissolve it all.

Of course the final test will be in the tasting! wink...

Back