Batch primed with glucose

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Libigage

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi, I bottled my coopers canadian blonde last weekend, l batch primed with 100g of glucose, checked one last night and it had very little c02. Also the bottles were crystal clear after about 4 days with a small layer of sediment on the bottom. Does this mean they have finished carbination? Is glucose OK for priming?

Glucose is dextrose or brewing sugar and is fine for priming.
If used in 22 litres of beer 100g of dextrose will give about 1.9 vols of CO2 which is equivalent to the carbonation level of an ale and is a bit on the low side for a lagery beer like the Blonde
So, was the dextrose properly mixed in, what temperature are you carbing at (should be about 20*C), how long did you give it in carbing before you sampled (should be a minimum of a week at 20*C), and was the beer you sampled straight from the fridge which will mean it will appear to be flat whereas the CO2 is still there its just in solution compared to a beer at 14*C?

Glucose is dextrose or brewing sugar and is fine for priming.
If used in 22 litres of beer 100g of dextrose will give about 1.9 vols of CO2 which is equivalent to the carbonation level of an ale and is a bit on the low side for a lagery beer like the Blonde
So, was the dextrose properly mixed in, what temperature are you carbing at (should be about 20*C), how long did you give it in carbing before you sampled (should be a minimum of a week at 20*C), and was the beer you sampled straight from the fridge which will mean it will appear to be flat whereas the CO2 is still there its just in solution compared to a beer at 14*C?
Thanks for the reply, I dissolved the sugar in hot water from the kettle and carbed at about 20-22 degrees, I tested the bottle after about 6 days after putting it in the fridge for a couple of hours, to be honest I was just wanting to test the carbination level as I over carbed my first coopers with drops. Does the clarity mean it has finished?

Thanks for the reply, I dissolved the sugar in hot water from the kettle and carbed at about 20-22 degrees, I tested the bottle after about 6 days after putting it in the fridge for a couple of hours, to be honest I was just wanting to test the carbination level as I over carbed my first coopers with drops. Does the clarity mean it has finished?
If it's cleared, and been at temperature and was fairly cloudy to start with then its most likely finished.
All I can suggest is you move it back into a warm place for another week then try again. If its still less carbed than you like from the fridge you can can either pour it into a pitcher to release some of the dissolved gas before pouring into your glass, serving warmer, or add more sugar as a solution* by say using syringe but that will mean removing the caps.
*If you add sugar direct it provides nucleation sites for CO2 to come out of solution and you may get gushing.

If it's cleared, and been at temperature and was fairly cloudy to start with then its most likely finished.
All I can suggest is you move it back into a warm place for another week then try again. If its still less carbed than you like from the fridge you can can either pour it into a pitcher to release some of the dissolved gas before pouring into your glass, serving warmer, or add more sugar as a solution* by say using syringe but that will mean removing the caps.
*If you add sugar direct it provides nucleation sites for CO2 to come out of solution and you may get gushing.
I've just found out why it hasn't got much carbination, I used my old kitchen scales and suspected that they weren't too accurate. So as I was due to bottle my woodfordes bure gold today (don't check my other threads) I borrowed my daughters digital scales. As soon as I started measuring out 90g I realised that there was at least 1.5 times more than I put in the canadian blonde. Is it worth opening them and adding more sugar, if so should I turn the bottles upside down before opening to get them cloudy again. How much sugar should I add. I have some wilko carbination drops, or shall I make a solution and syringe it in.

I don't use carbonation drops. I suggest you use this calculator to work out how much extra sugar you want to add to each bottle. If you want to know the weight of a single carb drop weigh 20 and divide that weight by 20.
https://www.brewersfriend.com/beer-priming-calculator/
Hi, 1 wilko drop weighs 1g, 1 coopers drop weighs 2g. If I put 1 wilko drop in each bottle would it do anything to the carb level or just sweeten it. Would I need to shake the bottles to disturb the sediment

Hi, 1 wilko drop weighs 1g, 1 coopers drop weighs 2g. If I put 1 wilko drop in each bottle would it do anything to the carb level or just sweeten it. Would I need to shake the bottles to disturb the sediment
I would learn to use the calculator I linked above. It cuts out all the guesswork. However if you have already used 100g dextrose you have some carbonation from that but to get you to a carbonation level more in keeping with the style you need to add 40 -50g extra sugar. If you have bottled in 500ml bottles you therefore need to add about 1g to each bottle, which is the Wilko drop from what you have said. I would not shake the bottles after you have added the drop, I would roll them gently on their sideto minimise any residual oxygen from the headspace getting into the beer, but only when the carb drop has dissolved, so the sugar gets distributed as well.

Latest posts

Back