Batch priming vs adding sugar to bottles

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GhostShip

Reaction score
Up to now, I’ve always batch primed for secondary fermentation - dissolved the sugar in boiling water in the barrel, then siphoned the beer from the FV into the barrel and then from the barrel into bottles.

I’ve never really thought about it too much before, but it’s been the case that some bottles let off a real ‘hiss’ when opened, while others are much more tame. I’ve therefore noticed when drinking that some bottles have carbonated better than others.

I recently ordered Mangrove Jack’s Pink Grapefruit IPA and as part of the offer, got some carbonation drops which I’d never used before. I put one drop into each 500ml bottle and put them into the brew fridge to secondary ferment. When I took them out a month later (2 weeks at warm and 2 at cold), I was immediately struck by the firmness of every bottle. The consistency was amazing.

It’s made me think that I’ll stop batch priming and add sugar (carbonation drops are just an expensive way of doing it) to each bottle from now on. It stands to reason that it will result in more consistent carbonation, rather than relying on a perfect mix in the barrel (which is probably never going to happen).

Anyone else had a similar experience?

P.S. The Pink Grapefruit IPA is in the shed and I haven’t tried it yet so can’t comment on the quality of the beer!

It’s made me think that I’ll stop batch priming and add sugar (carbonation drops are just an expensive way of doing it) to each bottle from now on.
... whether to batch or individual bottle prime seems very much a case of personal preference, rather than right or wrong ... I'm certainly not trying to talk you around one way or the other, you should definitely try both, but if you decide to return to batch priming then incorporating a gentle stir into your process can resolve any inconsistency issues ... personally, whenever I've tried the sugar in individual bottles approach, the combination of handling wet bottles and dry sugar has left me glazed like a cheap supermarket doughnut :roll:

Cheers, PhilB

I do switch between both depending on mood and how much I wish to control the amount of carbonation.
I agree with Phil - getting the priming sugar mixed in carefully should do the job. Sometimes though I just can't be bothered and use drops. I doubt I'll ever settle on one favoured method.

I've done both batch and sugar in the bottles both have worked equally well for me, I started off using carbonation drops but found them expensive, then at the suggestion of a forum member, I bought a box of 1000 Tate and Lyle sugar sticks for £6.99 delivered on eBay. The sugar sticks are like you get at restaurants / hotels I.e. small paper tubes with the 2.5g of sugar in.
I use 2 in a 500 ml bottle and 3 in a 750 ml bottle the results are consistent and this is almost as easy as drops but a hell of a lot cheaper.

Mark

A spoon, a funnel and some brewing sugar, 1/2 a tsp per bottle takes no time and no mess.
... yeah, and I've seen loads of other people use the "no mess" phrase too ... but turning granules of sugar out of my socks was the last straw for me and in-bottle priming with dry sugar :coat:

Nowadays, if I'm going to in-bottle prime (when bottling the last bit left in the FV after filling a corny, say), I make up a sugar solution of known strength and syringe the appropriate quantities into the bottles ... that way I can keep the dry stuff away from the (sterilised) wet stuff, as much as possible ... just as an aside, I don't think I've ever had a satisfactory answer to the question "how do you sterilise your spoon and funnel, and get it dry enough for sugar to flow off/through them?" :confused.:

Cheers, PhilB

I've done both batch and sugar in the bottles both have worked equally well for me, I started off using carbonation drops but found them expensive, then at the suggestion of a forum member, I bought a box of 1000 Tate and Lyle sugar sticks for £6.99 delivered on eBay. The sugar sticks are like you get at restaurants / hotels I.e. small paper tubes with the 2.5g of sugar in.
I use 2 in a 500 ml bottle and 3 in a 750 ml bottle the results are consistent and this is almost as easy as drops but a hell of a lot cheaper.

Mark

That's a brilliant idea! They have 1,000 sticks on Amazon for £4.99. I'm in. Thank you!

... whether to batch or individual bottle prime seems very much a case of personal preference, rather than right or wrong ... I'm certainly not trying to talk you around one way or the other, you should definitely try both, but if you decide to return to batch priming then incorporating a gentle stir into your process can resolve any inconsistency issues ... personally, whenever I've tried the sugar in individual bottles approach, the combination of handling wet bottles and dry sugar has left me glazed like a cheap supermarket doughnut :roll:

Cheers, PhilB
Hi there
that kept happening to me, so went to halfords (uk) and got a small funnel - bingo did the job nicely.
Better put it out there might help someone else.

Happy beveraging

Sterilising the spoon and funnel 😱😱 what about the sugar. This debate is about as pointless as which end do you open an egg. All personal preference, whatever you're comfortable with.

I'm going to in-bottle prime (when bottling the last bit left in the FV after filling a corny, say), I make up a sugar solution of known strength and syringe the appropriate quantities into the bottles ... that way I can keep the dry stuff away from the (sterilised) wet stuff, as much as possible

This is exactly what I did when I used to bottle and it works really well. I liked it as it was both easier than using dry sugar and also allowed me to experiment easily with different volumes of CO2 so I could try a style at higher or lower carbonation

A funnel, a bag of standard white sugar and one of those plastic spoons from the kids bottled paracetamol for me. Those spoons are good as one end is a full teaspoon the other end is half a teaspoon so depending on bottles it's easy.

I’ve never really thought about it too much before, but it’s been the case that some bottles let off a real ‘hiss’ when opened, while others are much more tame. I’ve therefore noticed when drinking that some bottles have carbonated better than others.
I noticed this when I first started brewing, so I started gently stirring the sugar solution in sorted it. I'm sure I've read on this forum that someone just pours the sugar (granulated sugar, not a solution) into the bucket then bottles without stirring, and I can't understand how that works.

Sterilising the spoon and funnel 😱😱 what about the sugar.
... yep, the sugar gets sterilised when it's dissolved in boiling water ... but we've ascertained elsewhere, you sterilise bottles, but not caps ... what else did you decide isn't worth worrying about? Bottling bucket/syphon/little bottler? :?:

All personal preference, whatever you're comfortable with.
... absolutely, and only @GhostShip can decide what's "right", for him/her ... and all we're doing here is sharing our experiences and describing what we're willing to "put up with", to help them decide :hat:

Cheers, PhilB

... yep, the sugar gets sterilised when it's dissolved in boiling water ... but we've ascertained elsewhere, you sterilise bottles, but not caps ... what else did you decide isn't worth worrying about? Bottling bucket/syphon/little bottler? :?:

... absolutely, and only @GhostShip can decide what's "right", for him/her ... and all we're doing here is sharing our experiences and describing what we're willing to "put up with", to help them decide :hat:

Cheers, PhilB
Phil
What's your problem man you sound very uptight, if I it works don't change it.
Cheers CC

Phil
What's your problem man you sound very uptight, if I it works don't change it.
Cheers CC

I think it was you describing the debate as 'pointless'.

Personally, it's really interesting to see how people approach adding sugar for secondary fermentation differently, and as a result, I've gained a couple of great ideas - buying sugar sticks or syringing dissolved sugar into each bottle.

I noticed this when I first started brewing, so I started gently stirring the sugar solution in sorted it. I'm sure I've read on this forum that someone just pours the sugar (granulated sugar, not a solution) into the bucket then bottles without stirring, and I can't understand how that works.

I gave something similar a go recently with a lager I wanted to bottle.

I didn’t want to transfer to another FV for risk of oxidation so I left the beer in its primary and inserted a length of tubing in through the airlock hole (SS Brewbucket) and lowered it so it was just touching the surface to avoid splashing. I then poured the sugar solution in through the tubing and left it alone for 10 minutes and then bottled. All carbonated evenly so I will use this method again 👍

I think it was you describing the debate as 'pointless'.

Personally, it's really interesting to see how people approach adding sugar for secondary fermentation differently, and as a result, I've gained a couple of great ideas - buying sugar sticks or syringing dissolved sugar into each bottle.
Ghostship we all need to get out more if people criticise putting sugar in a bottle.

True enough, I couldn't get on with the funnel method ( wish I could as its the cheapest !) I like the sugar sticks but it really is a case of each to their own.
I'm glad to have this forum to give me answers and options for my new hobby.

Mark

I don't think I've ever had a satisfactory answer to the question "how do you sterilise your spoon and funnel, and get it dry enough for sugar to flow off/through them?" :confused.:
Simple. You don't wet them.
I have a funnel and measuring spoon used exclusively for brewing
When they get put away they are washed and clean.
When I get to use them they are dry.
I have been priming bottles over 50 years this way and never had a problem.

Back