Batch priming vs adding sugar to bottles

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Up to now, I’ve always batch primed for secondary fermentation - dissolved the sugar in boiling water in the barrel, then siphoned the beer from the FV into the barrel and then from the barrel into bottles.
Anyone else had a similar experience?

Interesting, my experience is entirely the opposite, I used to prime bottles with carefully weighed dextrose but always found some bottles were slightly more carbonated than others, I suspect there is a built in error to my weighing/funneling technique so I went to batch priming, less margin for error, it also makes it much easier if you have a mixture of bottle sizes.

I think others are right though, it's a case of what works for you. I always took great pains to ensure the dextrose was VERY well mixed into the beer. In order to prevent oxidation I use an old soda stream bottle and put a layer of CO2 on top of the beer before mixing...seems to work well. athumb..

This is the spoon I use IMG_20200516_130736.jpg

Hi folks. I am planning ahead for the bottling stage after brewing John Bull beer from a kit. I’ll be using random lemonade bottles as well as some beer bottles. For this reason I’d like to added the sugars as a batch before bottling. I have two questions please.
1. How much sugar should I add to 23ltrs.
2. What type of sugar should I use? I have standard sugar and Beer Enhancer.

Thanks.

Hi folks. I am planning ahead for the bottling stage after brewing John Bull beer from a kit. I’ll be using random lemonade bottles as well as some beer bottles. For this reason I’d like to added the sugars as a batch before bottling. I have two questions please.

Thanks.

I'd imagine for a bitter you'd be looking at the lower end between 50g-80g for just a light carbonation. You'll be fine with table sugar.
I'd suggest using a beer priming calculator to double-check though.

Thanks.
Table sugar is fine.
But how much you add is really down to your personal taste on carbonation, and what type of beer you are bottling.
I suggest you use this to answer your own question
https://www.brewersfriend.com/beer-priming-calculator/And although you might have brewed 23 litres you might actually bottle less since you will leave some trub behind.

I’ve always primed the bottles. 1/4 spoon of Tate&Lyle in the bottom of each. Delivered through a washed (fairy liquid) and not sterilised bone dry funnel and 1/4 measuring spoon. All bottles always have a good carbonation and never had an off beer.
(Bottles and caps are obviously sterilised)

Excellent stuff thanks guys. I’m not a fan of beer that’s too carbonated. So I may edge on the side of less is more. I’m using various sized containers to store the beer and that calculator was just what I was after. Brill.

I had one batch that had a noticeable 'homebrew twang', it was the only batch I used table sugar instead of corn sugar (dextrose, I think). I fully admit it may have been coincidence but I've never used table sugar again.

I had one batch that had a noticeable 'homebrew twang', it was the only batch I used table sugar instead of corn sugar (dextrose, I think). I fully admit it may have been coincidence but I've never used table sugar again.

Was the table sugar for priming or for the main brew in the FV ?

Mark

Last edited:
I have been priming bottles over 50 years this way and never had a problem.

I've been at this over thirty years. The longer I'm at it the more I appreciate simplicity.

I'm about done with sugar cubes. Think I'm going back to a measuring spoon and loose sugar. Never had a problem doing it before.

Latest posts

Back