Bath

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My daughter was at Uni there. I can't remember the name of the pub she took us to but as we walked in our feet were instantly glued to the lino. I needed a bath myself when we left there.

Bath Brew House, unless it's gone massively downhill in the two years since I worked in the city

I am sorry to see that the Hat And Feather is no longer going strong in Bath. And the pub across the road from there, whose name I can't bring to mind. Pubs of character are disappearing fast.

The Old Green Tree in Bath. An absolutely tiny pub with good beer.
Not been to Bath for a little while, but The Old Green Tree is most definitley worth a visit. My personal go to used to be The Pig and Fiddle and The Crystal Palace. Also The Raven (John Street) used to do good food and beer. If you want something more frequented by locals and a bit less central then The Bell (Walcot Street). Bath Rugby are playing away this coming weekend so it will be a bit less busy overall, so it might be worth trying The Boater (Argyle Street), lovely in the summer outdoors but it's quite good inside as well.

I'll second The Raven, actually, especially for food.

(same disclaimer as before, "unless it's gone massively downhill in the two years since I worked in the city")

I usually go the Irish pubs Flan Obrien's or Canon if in the centre, they have the footy on as well which is a plus for me. Canon has a great beer selection, last time I was in they had an imperial stout on draught, and some unusual IPA's. If you want something a bit fancy, the Dark Horse is a nice cocktail bar, only has a couple of beers though, and they are in bottles. Ring O Bells in Widcombe is worth a short walk away from the centre. Just the other side of the station from the centre.

Retired Martin, one of the hardy band of bloggers doing all the Good Beer Guide pubs, loved the Green Tree (BA1 2JZ) - also the Star (BA1 5NA) if you want Bass.
https://retiredmartin.com/tag/bath/
The CAMRA National Inventory is always useful for "pretty", particularly somewhere historic like Bath - both the above have interiors of national importance, the regionally important ones are the Ale House (BA1 1NG), Larkhall Inn (BA1 6SD) and Centurion, Twerton (BA2 1QR); getting further out you have the Old Crown, Kelston (BA1 9AQ) and Dog & Fox in Bradford (BA15 1RT)

https://pubheritage.camra.org.uk/pu...36556&range=5&perpage=25&orderby=distance:asc
Use Untappd to get an idea of what beer is being served.

If you're feeling adventurous, then hop on a train down to Avoncliffe to The Cross Guns. More suited to the summer, but you could add a little walk along the river to The Inn at Freshford and then the train back.

As @Northern_Brewer said The Crown at Kelston, but that's a drive or bus. Nice walks around plus a log fire to warm you afterwards. Or a bit further in the same direction as The Crown you could try The Swan at Swineford. I have in the past done a river walk from Bath back to mine, starting at The Hop Pole, then... The Boathouse, The Bird In Hand (Saltford), The Jolly Sailor (maybe), The Swan (Swineford), The Lock Keeper (Keynsham) and finish at The Old Lock and Weir. That's a day walk though.

Loads of selection thank you, I look forward to seeing if the Canon as an Imp on keg whilst I watch some footie

Back