Bath

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am sorry to see that the Hat And Feather is no longer going strong in Bath. And the pub across the road from there, whose name I can't bring to mind. Pubs of character are disappearing fast.

It's the Bell on the other side of the road from the Hat and Feather. Some wild nights in the Hat and Feather in the 90's, what a place that was :).

The Bell is still going as it was saved with a buy out which Robert Plant and Peter Gabriel helped with.

I was in the huntsman across the river from the rec last week. One of the few places I've found black IPA on draught, and bloody good it was too

I was in the huntsman across the river from the rec last week. One of the few places I've found black IPA on draught, and bloody good it was too
Now you've got me wanting to brave the crowds and head to Bath... Well once I've finished papering that wall tomorrow maybe I'll treat myself? Hopefully in time for a light lunch??

It's the Bell on the other side of the road from the Hat and Feather. Some wild nights in the Hat and Feather in the 90's, what a place that was :).

The Bell is still going as it was saved with a buy out which Robert Plant and Peter Gabriel helped with.

Yeah, thanks, remember it now. It's a long time since I've been drinking in Bath, but was often there thirty or so years ago!

I usually go the Irish pubs Flan Obrien's or Canon if in the centre, they have the footy on as well which is a plus for me. Canon has a great beer selection, last time I was in they had an imperial stout on draught, and some unusual IPA's. If you want something a bit fancy, the Dark Horse is a nice cocktail bar, only has a couple of beers though, and they are in bottles. Ring O Bells in Widcombe is worth a short walk away from the centre. Just the other side of the station from the centre.

Doesn't looks very Irish

https://www.pubswithmore.co.uk/canonbath

I dunno about the Canon, but Flann O'Brien's is certainly more 'Oirish' than Irish.

How about this place, it’s a craft beer bar/shop.
https://beercraftbath.com/
BeerCraft
3 Argyle Street
Pulteney Bridge
Bath
BA2 4BA

You will find metered parking 100 yards from the shop, at the end of Great Pulteney Street.

i haven’t been but they have Brewbitz online homebrew shop

BeerCraft almost feels more like a cafe selling beer than a pub. But then to be fair I've only been in there to collect orders so maybe it's different when you're sat down. All nice folk though

Beercraft and Brewbitz both operate from there. I've never been there for a drink, I've picked up orders from Brewbitz and picked up some beer/cider whilst in the shop. Good range of bottles/mini kegs on show whenever I've been there. I agree with @Flat Foot, personally I'd pop over the road to The Boater, but there are other pubs nearby.

I live in Bath and would say make sure you go to electric bear
You will not be disappointed
Brew house is ok
Juno has some decent beers
The grapes
I’ll have a think for some others

How about this place, it’s a craft beer bar/shop.
https://beercraftbath.com/
BeerCraft
3 Argyle Street
Pulteney Bridge
Bath
BA2 4BA

You will find metered parking 100 yards from the shop, at the end of Great Pulteney Street.

i haven’t been but they have Brewbitz online homebrew shop
+1

I left with a lot of takeaways athumb..

I live in Bath and would say make sure you go to electric bear
You will not be disappointed
Brew house is ok
Juno has some decent beers
The grapes
I’ll have a think for some others
I've heard good things from several people about Electric Bear but not tried it myself, yet! It's a bit of a walk from central Bath, but a nice walk along the river, about half an hour stroll I'd say. Or hire a scooter :eek:

Some great recommendations above. The Star is my favourite pub in Bath (serves the perfect pint of Bass, of all things) closely followed by The Old Green Tree (especially if they still do Pitchfork). Both are well worth a visit if you're a pub traditionalist.

For craft beer as opposed to real ale, the aforementioned BeerCraft is excellent, but also very good are Brewed Boy at the top of Walcot Street along with the recently opened Kingsmead Street Bottle just off Kingsmead Square.

The Bath Brew House makes its own beer on site, and they'll give you a tour, but it gets very busy in the evenings.

I was in Bath last weekend and went to Electric Bear.
Really nice beers there and good staff.
Noticed it quite a walk from Bath Center, luckily I was in a hotel on a 10 minute walk away.
Their Helles is particularly nice

Would I need the train to electric bear?
No just a taxi from the centre
It’s in an industrial unit and is a brewery with taproom
Best beer in Bath by far
Also beercraft is very good with a good selection of taps and normally have one tap with electric bear on
But better to immerse yourself with loads of choice at the taproom 😉

Some great recommendations above. The Star is my favourite pub in Bath (serves the perfect pint of Bass, of all things) closely followed by The Old Green Tree (especially if they still do Pitchfork). Both are well worth a visit if you're a pub traditionalist.

For craft beer as opposed to real ale, the aforementioned BeerCraft is excellent, but also very good are Brewed Boy at the top of Walcot Street along with the recently opened Kingsmead Street Bottle just off Kingsmead Square.

The Bath Brew House makes its own beer on site, and they'll give you a tour, but it gets very busy in the evenings.
Yes completely forgot to mention brewboy great little taproom
+ now we have chapter one on the London road another brewpub that I personally am paying a visit too today 👍

Also, went to brew dog which was good, mind you, food wasn't great.
I suspect it was reheated food because the corn on the platter was bone dry and the wings were tough as leather.
Beer and the other hand was brilliant, pint of Elvis juice was great.

Back