BBC and Swearing.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
They have just called Ed Sheeran over at some awards thing (5 live) and they were discussing him making a bond theme he was discussing it and quite excited and said the word s**t the guy interviewing went into meltdown and pointed out it was a live interview then apologised to listeners, obviously we don't want people going on the radio saying **** this and **** that but for ****s sake everyone swears in real life do they have to apologise every time someone slips up especially if it's only a mild swearword.

When I used to see how much I was paying Sky and how little I watched it it used to make me swear.

Unfortunately that is the world we live in - there are people out there who are always looking to be offended by something. Channel 4 did the same thing in their live F1 programme when Mark Webber described Verstappen's DQ as a '**** decision'. The bland presenter couldn't stop apologising!

Edit - just like the censorship on this board - I can see the s**t word in my post (and when I go into edit mode) but it shows as **** once I post it

I hate the way these limp twats go into meltdown if someone swears big deal move on.

Last edited:
It's especially ridiculous when something is picked up on the ref's or pitchside mics at the rugby and there's an immediate apology. You're watching people smash the ***** out of each other, of course there's going to be some coarse language!

Would he have made a fuss if it as after 21:00?

Do the BBC still believe all young kids go to bed before 21:00 :roll:

US regulations appear to be even more bizarre. I remember an episode of the Osbornes, where everyone was effing an jeffing at each other, with no censorship, but when Ozzy raised his middle finger at someone, his hand had to be pixelated out.

A lot of live broadcasts in the U.S. have a seven second delay before actually going out over the air to give the director a chance to bleep out anything offensive. Of course that relies on what the director considers not acceptable.

Hi!
Many years ago, when The Goon Show was broadcast live, there was a BBC official with a button to cut the broadcast if any "rude" words were used. Spike Milligan wrote a character into one episode called Hugh Jampton, much to the delight of the audience, but the poor bloke from the BBC didn't understand the joke and the broadcast was not interrupted.

When I used to see how much I was paying Sky and how little I watched it it used to make me swear.

Sky believe in better..Followed by a sky bet ad.

Sensorship is there for a reason but its abused to the point where its muted valuable impressionable expressions..
Does this make any f#%*ng sense?

Last edited:
US regulations appear to be even more bizarre. I remember an episode of the Osbornes, where everyone was effing an jeffing at each other, with no censorship, but when Ozzy raised his middle finger at someone, his hand had to be pixelated out.
Haha i recollect that too.
I remember another odd one witg that first hit by maroon five. The word ' coming' was sensored.
So whover did this assumed it was 'cumming'. Im sure david brent would have left that one alone
Hi!
Many years ago, when The Goon Show was broadcast live, there was a BBC official with a button to cut the broadcast if any "rude" words were used. Spike Milligan wrote a character into one episode called Hugh Jampton, much to the delight of the audience, but the poor bloke from the BBC didn't understand the joke and the broadcast was not interrupted.
Unfortunately that is the world we live in - there are people out there who are always looking to be offended by something. Channel 4 did the same thing in their live F1 programme when Mark Webber described Verstappen's DQ as a '**** decision'. The bland presenter couldn't stop apologising!

Edit - just like the censorship on this board - I can see the s**t word in my post (and when I go into edit mode) but it shows as **** once I post it
There was also kimmi raikenen. who was asked what he was up to with the response ' id just done a s##t'

(Cant uoload vid but its on the web)

Sky believe in better..Followed by a sky bet ad.

The double-standards in media are quite astounding really.

It's like in the Daily Mail where you'll have a load of headlines referring to the various accusations of unwanted sexual advances towards women and deploring the men involved, alongside articles with cheap paparazzi shots of some 19 year old starlet popping down the shops for a pepperami, that have only made it into the news because she not wearing a bra under her top. Granted, sometimes the girls do it deliberately to get attention, but otherwise the double-standards appear to be lost on the Editors.

I also had to Google Hugh Jampton to understand what that was all about.

I was once watching something American where they pixelated out some dog poo. :?:

Latest posts

Back