BBC to go ahead with over-75s licence fee changes

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's not how any of this works. By that logic any service you've paid for over many years should become free once you hit a certain age. Been paying for gas and electricity for 50 years? Free from now on! Renting the same property since you were in your twenties? Free!
not even close to my point, they stopped charging and now they want to start charging again.

As the pubs were closed and I couldn't get my footy fix, I thought I might take up the Nowtv monthly sports pass for 9.99 a month. 20 quid and I'll see the season out. Wey, hey! Until somebody pointed out it's actually 177.50 including the TV license!

Shame

It really annoys me how some people's opinion becomes fact and how people pick up a little information and then fill in the gaps with heresay or supposition.

Do you know just how much you get with a TV licence?

-Seven national TV stations plus one each for Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

-Ten national radio stations (plus Radio 4 longwave for all you cricket and Shipping Forcast fans).

-Seven stations for Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales.

-One national radio station for children.

-Forty local radio stations

-A massive internet presence

-World Service radio and television broadcasting across the world, giving a British view on world events.

Now tell me that's not good value.

The licence fee is not a tax. You only have to pay if you wish to use the relevant equipment.

No-one wants to see over-75s pay for a licence, but if you feel that strongly, instead of knocking the BBC, try asking the government why they felt it appropriate to stop funding free licences. While you're at it, you could also ask them what they've done with the part of your taxes which used to pay for free licences.

I saw a comment about the BBC's archive making millions at zero cost. That's a fair point, but some tine ago I worked in the industry and can tell you that's not the case. What about the rent, rates and services for the buildings that house the material? The database required to run the archive? The cost of the people to input the data? To pull the tapes? To despatch them? The cost of transferring everything to a new format of tape once something becomes obsolete? Archives are slowly being digitised, but there's a cost attached to it.

Who do you think is going to pick up religious and other minority programming that the BBC does so well? Sky? ITV? Good luck with that.

Think celebrity presenters on the BBC are overpaid? They're paid market rates. Imagine the howls of displeasure if the BBC had none.

The BBC is far from perfect, but that's no reason to get rid of it. No government likes The BBC.

The BBC is the envy of the world and contributes immeasurably to the cultural wellbeing of the country. Please don't let the government kill it. Once it's gone, it'll be gone forever and you won't see any benefit from it's demise. All you'll be left with is £157.50
Enough said.

As the pubs were closed and I couldn't get my footy fix, I thought I might take up the Nowtv monthly sports pass for 9.99 a month. 20 quid and I'll see the season out. Wey, hey! Until somebody pointed out it's actually 177.50 including the TV license!

Shame

Its £9.99 a day for sky sports on now tv and £33.99 a month and you still get adverts !

Mark

Just checked. The one I was going to seems to have gone down to 5.99 a month.

I don't mind adverts.

I don't want to watch BBC or anything else for that matter.

If you've got a link to share for sky sports for only £5.99 a month you will make a lot of people happy.

Mark

Just google Nowtv mobile sports month pass. It's only five channels.

I remembered it as 9.99, seems to be 5.99 now.

I think you are referring to a different offer at 9.99 a day.

I just did and got the same results now tv sky sports £9.99 a day and £33.99 a month, any chance of a link to your £5.99 a month deal ?

Thanks,
Mark
Screenshot_20200712-090656.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200712-090707.png
    Screenshot_20200712-090707.png
    50.6 KB · Views: 55
Cheers Chris-s, I'd forgot that was even a option, good those lucky enough to be stuck at work, not sure I'd want to watch on mobile if there was any other way !
No F1 would be the deal breaker !

Mark

It would have been good for me as I don't have a tv. 🤣

But I would still have to buy a TV license.

Got rid of my TV licence and Sky subscription over a year ago. No longer bother wasting my time and money on the rubbish that was on there, same stuff repeated over and over again. I've never looked back. Now I waste my time brewing beer. LOL.

Back