BBQ thoughts....

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint

Forum jester...🏅🏆
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello all
I'm still looking to buy a new bbq.
I've been thinking of what I really need and my actual usage of what j have now which is a medium size gas with side burner.
To replace this my choice would be the latest Weber Genesis 300 size with side burner,comes with free rotisserie and I'd add the new flat top Craft griddle plate. This comes in at around £1500.
Expensive..yes,but we'll built,guaranteed and I will use it a lot.
When I analyse my cooking,especially during the winter months the bbq side hasn't been used much mostly as its broken! But the side burner gets used virtually on a weekly basis in all weather,to make my curry. Meat has been grilled indoors. So looking at that I'm not using the bbq section for months. When I do use it it's usually during more relaxed times,lighter evenings and I'm also cooing bbq for tge family and others..with no clock watching!
Turning my bbq thoughts on their head I've come up with...
Buy stainless catering table,smaller size about £100.
Cast iron gas burner to go on top..£30 .
Weber kettle bbq,charcoal,about £300.
I only bbq on my days off so firing up a kettle would be OK.
Thoughts??

Certainty cheaper. Thats a massive saving so makes sense if it does the job and you don't need the convenience of Gas. Can you get an SS table for that price though?

Can't fault weber kettles. Dropping them into a table looks pretty good, and something I keep meaning to do.

I'm looking at a potential saving of around a £1000 . The trade off is I still get my year round curry kitchen but lose the instant convenience of gas But do get to try some fire making and generally having fun!

I always fancied one of these, but were always out of stock and nobody appears to import them anymore.

12715543_1121274194559116_1243585197329118855_n.jpg

I've got a mastertouch, just got it a couple of weeks ago. There's a few different versions, mines the e5755, so it has an upgraded SS food grate but not the hinged lid. I got mine from John lewis, there's probably cheaper places but I had some vouchers so used them on that

Have you also considered a PK grill, they will last a lifetime. Bit more expensive than a weber

I think that's seems a good way of doing it.

You can do so much with a Weber kettle, I think they are fantastic bits of kit. I am thinking about building a table, and slotting the kettle in so it sits flush, put some storage underneath etc. Having an outdoor work surface when barbecuing would be useful. For that reason I did consider the Performer, but it just felt like quite a lot of money for a table, timer clock and bin.

For charcoal I like Big K.

Weber kettles are good and require proper "man skillz" to use properly.

Other options to consider in all this:
- Trager pellet smoker would bring a whole new level of BBQ mahem.
- If you're ok to go a bit more DIY, how about turning an old filing cabinet into a smoker?
- Gas paella ring, if you get one where you can control each of the rings separately.

Now...which Weber kettle?
Mastertouch, as others have said. Go big so you’ve got plenty of room for 2-zone cooking.

What to burn on it?
Restaurant grade lumpwood, see what brands you can get locally and try a few. Charcoal is the BBQ equivalent of yeast and shold be considered to be another ingredient. Amazon have Big K which I’m not keen on and Alderline which I’ve never tried.
The lower and slower you cook, the more charcoal flavour gets into the food. I like Mr Charcoal for fast and furious cooking, It’s £20 odd for a 15kg bag and doesn’t have the aroma I get from Big K that I don’t like.

Latest posts

Back