BBQ thoughts....

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I agree with thinking about stuff but I also believe do it now or regret it...life is not a rehearsal.
Sad news about an old workmate of mine,same age as me,54. Massive stroke on life support,no hope...poor sod.
Genuinely sorry to hear that. I’d an interesting conversation with a patient today, he’s still working at 72 and good on him. I’m going at 55, and when I pointed out that my poor mum died at 62 he could see where I was coming from.
I’ll get Chippy to change my username to alastair25 and start a new count up when it happens.

Last edited:
@Alastair70 Many thanks for the research, uplifting at the thought that a “once a week” habit won’t kill me!

@Clint At my age I know I’m fortunate to be here! A walk through the cemetery attached to St Mary’s in Winthorpe is a sobering experience when I see the number of school friends buried there!

Commiserations on the plight of your workmate! If you live long enough you see that life isn’t “fair”!

My Mam said, “I remember when that wall was covered in birthday and Christmas cards at this time of the year!” I pointed out that most of the people who sent the cards were no longer with us and she agreed! This was at Mam’s 90th birthday party!

“Carpe Diem!”
:hat:

I lost my mum aged 55 in 2005 to a rare cancer which thankfully isn't hereditary , I'm 55 next year, it's always been "the number" for me although I'm in good health if that makes sense?
every year after that will be a bonus lol.

Carpe Diem indeed!

anyway BBQ'd these last night from the reduced section (bargain!) , the steaks were nice but think we were all on the fence about the citrus sauce, sorry forgot to take piccies lol :

Tesco Finest Smoky Miso Style Flat Iron Steaks 470G​

20220715_134901.jpg

Found this at a local garden centre this morning...£9.99.

Rehashing pizza on a BBQ (I just can't bring myself to pull the trigger on one of those nice, portable pizza ovens), the gas burners do a good impression of a pizza stone because of the direct heat. You can light half the BBQ, put the pizza across on the other side, slide it onto direct heat as needed.
Note; I'm always doing square pizza in a steel pan and realize a BBQ would not be ideal for Neapolitans. We enjoy the Neapolitans but we're square.

Looks good @Clint, £2 per kg is a reasonable price for lump wood, anything under that is a bargain. Restaurant Quality essentially means no accelerants, avoid ‘easy light’ like the plague. If you like how it smells when it burns you’ve bagged a winner.
These arrived for me today, I’ve a couple of things from the Weber book lined up for the weekend.
148FCE7E-5D5F-471C-AFB6-E8EFD3043114.jpeg

https://gwernyfedwood.co.uk/products/smoking-wood-chips

Looks good @Clint, £2 per kg is a reasonable price for lump wood, anything under that is a bargain. Restaurant Quality essentially means no accelerants, avoid ‘easy light’ like the plague. If you like how it smells when it burns you’ve bagged a winner.
These arrived for me today, I’ve a couple of things from the Weber book lined up for the weekend.
View attachment 71731

https://gwernyfedwood.co.uk/products/smoking-wood-chips

I got my cherry ones from the same place. I like them.

I’ve taking up smoking. It’s true what they say, it’s very addictive.

View attachment 71802
Yeah, smoking using a kettle is great. I did think about buying a 'proper' smoker.... but not really sure if I would get a better end product.

Smoked a brisket point end this morning, long cook, but it was fabulous.

I picked up a little tip a couple of years ago for smoking meat in a Weber Kettle using wood chips. Soak a couple of handfuls of wood chips in water for at least 30 minutes. Tear off 2 sheets of tin foil and lay one on top of the other. When ready drain the soaked wood chips and place them on the tin foil. Fold the sides of the tin foil over the wood ships to create a seal like a parcel. Then using a fork or a skewer punch holes on one side of the tin foil parcel. When you want to smoke your meat place the tin foil parcel over your coals with the holes pointing up. It will take about 15 minutes before it starts smoking but will last way longer than just throwing the wood chips on top of the coals. I do this and it works great. A homemade smoke box.

I picked up a little tip a couple of years ago for smoking meat in a Weber Kettle using wood chips. Soak a couple of handfuls of wood chips in water for at least 30 minutes. Tear off 2 sheets of tin foil and lay one on top of the other. When ready drain the soaked wood chips and place them on the tin foil. Fold the sides of the tin foil over the wood ships to create a seal like a parcel. Then using a fork or a skewer punch holes on one side of the tin foil parcel. When you want to smoke your meat place the tin foil parcel over your coals with the holes pointing up. It will take about 15 minutes before it starts smoking but will last way longer than just throwing the wood chips on top of the coals. I do this and it works great. A homemade smoke box.
Oh, that sounds like a winner. I get 20 minutes max out of wood chips straight on the coals and putting the lid back on. Cheers mate 👏👏

Latest posts

Back