be carefull

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnmcfarlane

Reaction score
Do not use speckled hen blttles for your beer. I had 3 crack on me whilst capping them. Every other type of bottle has been fine so i know its not me.. they must have a weak neck or something,, just wasted 3 bottles of precious beer .does anyone know any other bottles to avoid using?
:hmm:

Bench capper, lever capper, or the type you whack with a mallet?

I've also used Morland's bottles without loss.

The only commercial beer bottles I've re-used for my home brew are Grolsch flip-top ones - and I tend to use those for storing cultured yeasts more than beers now. I have a couple of hundred of those Young's half litre glass bottles which I've acquired over the years (usually from Wilkos) and have now started building up a stock of the Young's PET 1 litre bottles (up to 4 dozen of those now).

I used lever capper with mine. Perhaps it was a bad batch but wont be chancing them agai :cheers: n

I'm thinking bad batch - I've been using Speckled Hen bottles for months (the labels soak off dead easy, and getting rid of the contents is fun too). I'll keep an eye on them though, thanks for the heads up.

I've been using Morland bottles for a few years, I have had a couple go in that time but normally I suspect they have taken a knock before I cap them. Sound like you were unlucky :cry:

I've found the bottles anchor use don't get on well with my lever capper - these had to go into the recycler. Brewdog type are ok but removing the labels...not worth the hassle!

For 330ml size Leffe are great, or duvel/chimay etc, clean up easily and very solid. I like erdinger for 500ml size for the same reasons.

Can't use any wychwood bottles with my lever capper, which is a shame cause my mates dad drinks loads of them then sends them to me and then I have to recycle them, don't like to tell him because he's a great bloke.
1 pint cider bottles have to be the best, Bulmers or magners they are all easy to clean. Is it me but isn't it great when you can do a full brew with all the same type of bottles. :geek:

Easy Peasie said:
Is it me but isn't it great when you can do a full brew with all the same type of bottles. :geek:
No, I agree that it's nice to have crates or rows of bottles all alike. I also alternate crown cap colours between batches.

I think that when you start collecting bottles you take whatever you can get, so I had an assortment of shapes in pints and 500ml.

When you reach a sufficient number of bottles you can start to become more selective, then when you hit an optimum number of bottles you can recycle some of the less desirable ones as you acquire more of your chosen type.

That way I now have around 200 Magner/Bulmer pints and have got rid of the Wychwood etc., although I still keep a few Pedigree 500ml because when I give beers to those who won't leave them a while to settle again or don't know how to pour them, I chill the pints overnight and then carefully decant and re-bottle in 500s without sediment.

I have mostly got recycled Bulmers bottles from a local, however, ideally i would prefer Newcastle Brown Ale style bottles (though brown glass, not clear) as i believe the ridge where the bottle sharply becomes the neck will be better at trapping sediment, ratehr than the smooth Cider bottles.

I do have some bottles liek this as, follishly, i bought some bottles from the LHBS before i realised my local pub was so helpful.

I have just been given about 100 Newcastle Brown Ale bottles, Although I have never used clear bottles before I would presume they would be OK as long as they were kept out of light. Can anyone confirm :hmm:

As moley said its ok just keep out of light and they are good for seeing if your beer is clearing ok :drink:

johnmcfarlane said:
Do not use speckled hen blttles for your beer. I had 3 crack on me whilst capping them. Every other type of bottle has been fine so i know its not me.. they must have a weak neck or something,, just wasted 3 bottles of precious beer .does anyone know any other bottles to avoid using?
:hmm:

Moorland may have just changed over to thinner glass bottles to save money on packaging, hence the fragility.

Its surprising how much a large commercial can save by doing so, they only fill them once so the cheaper to buy the better.

UP

Thinner bottles that explains it uncle. Might have to buy bottles mind you im a tight **** being a jock so might have to barell instead. Dont want to waste any beer ever again

Latest posts

Back