Beaver Falls Melot Six Bottle

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chilled

Reaction score
OK so I am off.. I've started.

The last time I tried home brewing, as I may have explained before was when I was 18. That was a long time ago and it was a disaster. I cant remember what I did wrong it was just vile and if I remember right I threw it all away, blaimed the equipment, threw that away too and that was that, until now.

So today I have started with what I think is a simple kit. This is to get a positive result and some confidence in what I am doing. I made sure that I sanitised everything properly, as I suspect that I may have cut that corner when I was younger...

I have made up the kit as per the instructions and its in the Demi John in a room that is currently 21 degrees C.. Its quiet a nice sunny day in the UK today, which is unusual about 18 degrees C so I will have to keep an eye on the temp of the wine which is about 23 degrees at the moment.

Its been in the room for just over an hour now and I am like a cat on a hot tin roof right now waiting for the fermentation to start. No movement at yet! Not panicing, yet, just going to give it some time. Ive got a 30 bottle World Vineyard Italian Nebbiolo kit waiting to be made as well so need to get the smaller kit right first. I dont want to mess up a £50 kit!

Don't worry too much about temperature my kitchen gets down to 15c in winter and high 20's in summer and i have never made a bad wine yet, i now have a heat pad which helps speed up fermentation in winter but i managed without one for several years so a nice thing to have but not a necessity.

Give it 48 hours from start and you should see activity but don't worry if there is non as some take longer to start.

You are about to learn one of the hardest lessons we all learn patience is a necessity in this hobby. :laugh8:

Well I left it alone as you suggested CT.. Went away on business on Sunday... to today Tuesday night to find that its forced quiet a lot through the airtrap... and there is dried up wine around the base of the demiJohn. There was still a little water left in the trap but I put some more in as there was not that much in it. Its still bubbling away... About 12 days left to go.... Fingers crossed.

If doing a 6-bottle kit in a demijohn, I always under-fill it for the first few days of fermentation and then top it up. You don't get the froth out of the airlock then.

Good point, I assumed the OP had left plenty of head space.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just and update and request for some further help please?
My kit has been brewing away since 23rd Feb 2019.. According to the instructions its meant to be done fermenting 15-20 days. Today is day 20 and its still going! I am getting 8 bubbles per minute out of the air lock at the moment (yes I have counted them!) so I assume that its still brewing/fermenting. The temperature is just between 20 - 21 degrees C.. What do I do? Do I leave it longer or should I rack it into another demijohn? I dont want it to spoil so I am unclear on the best process.. Thank you.

I've degassed and added finnings fingers crossed its OK. I am not sure that I read the Hydrometer correctly at the OG @1.075...right now its reading .994.. If thats correct then my wine is about 10.63% pretty low! :-( Its my first time so as long as its drinkabe then it will be a bonus..

Any comments or advice please shout... Thanks

You won't notice the 2% ABV drop on normal wine so as long as it tastes good job done. :thumba:

Latest posts

Back