Beaverdale wine kits

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flan

Reaction score
Has anybody tried these wine kits, I’m looking at the shiraz kit for £43.20 for a 5 gallon kit from the home brew shop. Does anybody have any other recommendations for wine kits. Shiraz/malbec type around the £40-£60 mark. Thanks.

I have made the (new) Beaverdale Cabernet Shiraz and it tastes similar to the old one but despite the same og it is thinner.

It is acceptable tastewise but don't expect any body or character.

Not surprisingly it hasn't improved in six weeks. But then the old ones didn't improve much either.

In my opinion it is still better than the £30+ kits such as Cellar 7.

I am just drinking an (old) Kenridge Shiraz which I only bottled today! So much better in every way. Shame they are no longer around.

I've made the Sauvignon Blanc twice, Pinot Grigio once: both Ok but I reckoned the On the house Pinot Grigio tasted less 'kit like' as did a couple of others who tried it.

Anna
My wife is the white wine drinker and a long time ago she decided that the Beaverdale Pinot Grigio was better but not worth the extra cost over some of the cheaper Pinot Grigio kits.

Recently we made an On The House Chardonnay (must have been on offer) and my wife was impressed.

I tried a glass and thought it very nice but I'm no expert.

Just racked an On the House Sauvignon Blanc and a 'little taster' has a similar approval.

Maybe that is now the sweet spot for whites for us.

Chris

I've just racked a gallon each of the Sauv Blanc and the Chateau du Roi. My wife tried the white, I don't drink white wine, and was impressed even though it's going to sit for a couple of months yet. The red was quite dry but I'll wait a while before checking again before I consider back sweetening it. I've also got a Grenache Rose and a Nebbiolo to start.
Looking forward to the summer 😁

I've done quite a few Beaverdale 1 gallon kits (Need to try them before I decide to do a 5 gallon kit) and would rate them as below.
Bear in mind that I varied other factors, such as bottled water, tap water etc

Pinot Grigio - Very good
Sauvignon Blanc - Good
Chardonnay Semillon - made as a sparking frizzante - Excellent

Shiraz - Very Good / Excellent
Rioja - Good
Chateux du Roi - OK
Pinot Noir - Conditioning
Cabernet Sauvignon - Just bottled today, but had a glass and it does have real potential

I've done quite a few Beaverdale 1 gallon kits (Need to try them before I decide to do a 5 gallon kit)
There was a recent thread where I think it was said that the 1 gallon kits are 1.5L.

Would be interesting to know if that applies to the new versions where the 30 bottle kits have dropped to 6L.

Would be interesting to know if that applies to the new versions where the 30 bottle kits have dropped to 6L.
The Beaverdale Merlot 30L I made last year was 6L of juice.

Really nice. Clean taste, fairly dry but not overly my only criticism would be for a Merlot it is perhaps a little thin.

This is part of the reason my next kit was the slightly more expensive Winexpert which was 8L of juice.

buddsy

Does anybody add extra grape juice to their kits, if so which type.

Really nice. Clean taste, fairly dry but not overly my only criticism would be for a Merlot it is perhaps a little thin.
I did a side by side test of a new Beaverdale Cabernet Shiraz and an old one. The most noticeable thing was that the new one was thinner.

The Kenridge 10L kits were much better but the replacement Vineco 8L I have done seemed inferior. It is now 3 months in the bottle so I intend to do another test.

Last night I compared an old Cal Conn Shiraz against an On The House Shiraz. To my surprise they were almost identical despite the drop in juice volume.

I have quite a few more to compare too, as I try to work out the new kits. It just takes a while.

I have a Winexpert Chateau du Roi which I am going to make up today.

Made up the Winexpert. The oak 'chips' were decidedly more impressive than the usual 'dust'.

I don't know if it's better but it kind of feels like it.

LOL

Made up the Winexpert. The oak 'chips' were decidedly more impressive than the usual 'dust'. I don't know if it's better but it kind of feels like it.

I agree. For me the Winexpert kit feels more premium than the Beaverdale.

The instructions seem better.

There is a sticker on the box you can attach to the instructions.

A place to record your start date and SG.

Little things but it just feels a little more care and though has gone into the kit.

buddsy

The instructions seem better.
Yes. They are the same as the old Cal Conn, Kenridge etc. and the new Vineco and On The House which are all made by Global Vintners in Ontario.

I have always believed that Beaverdale were also produced by them, same size box, identical bag just different printing, instructions and bits and bobs. Imported by Richies rather than Youngs.

I could be wrong.

The new smaller volumes occurred at exactly the same time, with new identical sized boxes, bags marked Smurfit Kappa Canada, as I recall, different bits and bobs.

On the principal 'If it looks like a duck...' I would have to be persuaded otherwise.

Fortunately, if I am right, it is likely only the instructions are inferior compared with the On The House.

Just to update with with my most recent BD wins (all 6 bottle)

Pinot Grigio - Very good
Sauvignon Blanc - Good
Chardonnay Semillon - made as a sparking frizzante - Excellent
Gewurtztraminer - Fantastic

Shiraz - Very Good / Excellent
Rioja - Good
Chateux du Roi - OK
Pinot Noir - Very Good
Cabernet Sauvignon - OK
Nebbiolo - Excellent

I've made loads of these - it's a good idea to brew a little short, otherwise they can be a bit thin. They do benefit from aging too.

Just wanted to mention that in my opinion the Vine Co Classics are by far better value than the beaverdales.

The Vine Co Classics have nearly 1/3 more of grape concentrate.

I did the 4 week Vinco original Merlot, really good. Then I tried a Solomond Grundy 1 week, which was OK, drinkable. I've just done another Vineco Merlot original and it is far superior to me in smell, colour and taste.

Back