Beavertown Neck Oil Clone

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gedburg101

Reaction score
Hi Chaps,

After my initial all grain tragedy I think I've worked the bugs out of my setup so hoping to do another brew day this weekend. Hoping to have a go at a Beavertown Neck Oil Clone. I had a tin at the weekend and it's ace.

Their website refers to extra pale malts so I assume that there is limited additional stuff in the grain Bill other than Pale. Think this right?

The hops quoted are Magnum, Columbus, Centennial, Simcoe, Amarillo, Galaxy, Vic Secret and Mosaic.

At what stages would these go into the kettle. Are any of these typically bittering hops or for dry hopping only?

First time trying to clone a beer so any help appreciated.

Cheers!

I would suggest that it is just extra pale malt (torrified wheat for head retention maybe) and Magnum as a classic clean bittering hop but could use colombus.

After that I would add all the others late and personally I would use amarillo and galaxy as dry hops.

Hi - This is my 3rd attempt and I'm bottling this tonight. Sorry about formatting. From Brew Pal and I'm on my phone. Hopefully it makes sense.

24 litres
All Grain
1.039OG → 1.008FG → 4.1%ABV 33 IBU 3.1°L SRM
Yeast
Fermentis - Safale US-05
US-05 - Safale US-05
Fermentis (Ale) 5 mlitres

Fermentables
4.55 kilograms
Extra Pale Maris Otter
36ppg, 2°L 3 kilograms
65.9%
Lager
35ppg, 2°L 1.55 kilograms
34.1%

Batch/Fly
1 hour, 34.90 litres
Strike
Target 65°C 11.38 litres at 74°C
1 hour
Sparge 23.52 litres at 74°C

Boil
1 hour, 29.01 litres
Columbus hops
10%, Pellet 9 grams
60 minutes (+0)
Magnum hops
13.7%, Pellet 4 grams
60 minutes (+0)
Galaxy hops
12.7%, Pellet 4 grams
15 minutes (+45)
Amarillo hops
10.8%, Pellet 10 grams
10 minutes (+50)
Centennial hops
8.8%, Pellet 10 grams
10 minutes (+50)
Simcoe hops
12.2%, Pellet 10 grams
10 minutes (+50)
Amarillo hops
10.8%, Pellet 8 grams
5 minutes (+55)
Centennial hops
8.8%, Pellet 6 grams
0 minutes (+60)
Galaxy hops
12.7%, Pellet 25 grams
0 minutes (+60)
Mosaic hops
10.9%, Pellet 25 grams
0 minutes (+60)
Simcoe hops
12.2%, Pellet 25 grams
0 minutes (+60)

Ferment US-05

Dry Hop

Amarillo hops
10.8%, Pellet 25 grams
5 days (+9 days)
Mosaic hops
12%, Pellet 25 grams
5 days (+9 days)
Simcoe hops
12.2%, Pellet 25 grams
3 days (+11 days)
Vic Secret hops
14%, Pellet 25 grams
3 days (+11 days)

Notes
CRS: 19.6ml
Gypsum: 17.11g
Dihydrate: 4.66g (Calcium Chloride)
Salt: 1.46

All in hot liquor
Graham Wheeler

Hard to say really as I was working through some early practical issues having been new to all grain brewing. I definitely under-did the hops so have increased the hop amounts throughout without raising the IBU. However, there were definite signs that this is along the right lines so I'm really looking forward to seeing how this one tastes in a couple of weeks once carbed up (will have a sneak in a week probably ;-)).

I think Geetee makes a good point about the wheat. Will add a note to include some next time.

Someone sent me this ages ago. Not made it myself. But tried what they had made. It was very very good!!!

ee1082d95d50a9d554269c733cbe8b93.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Having had an early sample of mine I would definitely say the hop quantities need to be more like bunglebrewsbeer has it there. Need to almost double my aroma and dry hop additions.

Colour is spot on though so extra pale is the way to go.

How did you go with your Neck Oil clone- would love to get a recipe if it is close to the real thing :)

Hi - I’m brewing this again in a couple of weeks for a mates party. I’m going to follow the recipe posted by Bunglbrewsbeer. Previous attempts have been along the right lines but I think this could be pretty close. Will let you know.

Good man Haresy - let me know how it goes down and if it is close to the original :cheers3:

Just attempted this as per recipe bunglebrewsbeer posted. I’m at 1.022 and wondering how low to go before I dry hop. Bearing in mind for the moment until my all rounder arrives I’m still using a plastic bucket which ill have to open to add hops. I’m thinking about 1.015 so that the oxy is used up, driven off? Any thoughts? Or do I forget about dry hopping this batch and do it next time in the all rounder?

The two gravity samples I have taken tasted pretty good so recipe is a keeper!

Ok sounds good to me. I’m hoping to do this back to back with the all rounder and keg too. Be interesting to see the difference if there is one

It’s bottled and just finished carbing. It has come out slightly hazy, with good hop aroma. Tastes like the original but not exactly so. All in all I like it, looking forward to trying it in a few more weeks in the bottle. Next batch will be kegged

It’s bottled and just finished carbing. It has come out slightly hazy, with good hop aroma. Tastes like the original but not exactly so. All in all I like it, looking forward to trying it in a few more weeks in the bottle. Next batch will be kegged
Sounds good! If you have the recipe on Brewfather or Brewer's Friend, do share!

Back