Beavertown sells to Heineken

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It could go either way, at best you will get the same beers in more places at a better price but at worse the margins will be much lower for them and it would be tempting to use cheaper ingredients as a few pence a litre could double the profit which could be squeezed all along the chain. At the end of the day its 1 brewery and what ever happens to it theres a great range of beers out there with or without them.

Furthermore, some independent bottle shops and suppliers such as Hop Burns & Black and Hereford Beer House have stopped stocking the Tottenham-based brewery claiming that they are no longer independent, with Hereford Beer House even going as far as calling them 'hypocrites'.

My stepson owns Hoptimism an online bottle shop, he has also refused to stock their beers saying the same thing that they are no longer independent. It's all a bit disappointing.
:(

My stepson owns Hoptimism an online bottle shop, he has also refused to stock their beers saying the same thing that they are no longer independent. It's all a bit disappointing.
:(
They'll obviously have to stock something else, which could then introduce an independent brewery to their customers. Small retailers stay in business and customers get wider choice. Meanwhile, Beavertown, with the help of Heineken, will find other outlets for their beer. Everyone wins.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Last year at the Extravaganza Logan Plant was giving it big licks about resisting Big Beer, the damage they do and was very critical about breweries taking money from them.

Funny how money talks.

They'll obviously have to stock something else, which could then introduce an independent brewery to their customers.
They only stock beer from independent breweries, they are quite niche and have a huge following. Yes it's a loss but hey ho! I do understand his stance on it despite a bit of a battering from some of his customers.

The really cool craft places haven't been buying beavertown for a while anyway. Finding it on tap in your local 2 for £10 family nosebag won't do it any favours with the rest. Businesses are entitled to do what they want, consumers are entitled to do what they want. Personally I support independent breweries because I'm passionate about the scene and prefer to support nice people. I don't have to buy beavertown beers and most likely won't anymore. I understand the cash injection which is a pay off to take a share in the company in return to access to wider distribution with increased profit share and so on, but the end result will be a bigger brewer, with larger and tighter margin supply chains controlling access to market. Which is fine, but not something I wish to support.

The tactics of large macro breweries to gain and maintain market share really are deplorable. I can't say the average brewery owner isn't above doing the same if they had the clout, but ... yeah business I guess. You kind of have to turn a blind eye to the fact that everything is sustained by the small brewery rate relief which in effect is a subsidy which allows the UK to have a beer culture akin to french/italian/spanish wine, cheese and meat. It is quite good for the consumer, but pretty brutal for the industry, which without the relief is set up to be a massive industrial process.

Thats odd because I just went to their site and the splash banner is a load of Gamma Ray cans

Yes; his web designer hasn't changed it yet and up until yesterday he still had some stock left. All gone now though and Beavertown has been removed from the brand section.

Yes; his web designer hasn't changed it yet and up until yesterday he still had some stock left. All gone now though and Beavertown has been removed from the brand section.

Ah, I see. Being a Technonumpty I didnt realize you needed to get a web site designer to change your website. I just thought you just just do it yourself easy peasy like

Ah, I see. Being a Technonumpty I didnt realize you needed to get a web site designer to change your website. I just thought you just just do it yourself easy peasy like
He can but I think he's afraid in case he screws it up :nod:

Latest posts

Back