Bedford British ale yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Supposedly, it's the Charles Well's Brewery. I've used it twice, and was really happy with the beer it produced.

My memory is that WLP006 is fine - nothing particularly exciting, but fine.

White Labs still maintain the old system of releasing from the Vault if they get 150 orders for something, but that never worked very well for their British beer strains. But they do seem to appear at random nowadays, I suspect what happens is that if they get a brewery ordering a Vault strain then they manufacture some homebrew packs at the same time. If you go to the White Labs ordering system at www.yeastman.com , then go to the Yeast Strains page, then click the Stores tab at the top and then click on the Vault Strains link, you can see what "funnies" are available for retailers to order. IME both BrewUK and Malt Miller are pretty good about getting stuff in with their next order from White Labs if you ask them; unfortunately Brewstore seem to have given up on White Labs altogether.

WLP006 is listed there at the moment - I also see WLP050 Tennessee Whiskey is there too which actually works quite well for beer. It's non-phenolic unlike most distilling yeasts, and has a fun ester profile.

I used 006 in a few brews a few years ago and liked it a lot. It was unfussy and made really nice, balanced beers, good malt expression, mild pleasant esters, very nice mouthfeel. I would happily use it again if I saw it when shopping.

As a heads-up, WLP006 is showing on Yeastman again, along with WLP009 Australian, WLP091 Best Coast Hazy Blend, WLP561 Non-STA1son (non-diastatic "saison" yeast), WLP815 Belgian Lager, WLP845 Fast Lager and WLP860 Munich Helles (allegedly Augustiner) so they should be available soon from the likes of Malt Miller and BrewUK.

Also Wyeast has announced the Q4 Private Strains - 2000-PC Budvar, 1087-PC Wyeast Bohemian Ale Blend (formerly 1540-PC Wyeast Ale Blend) and 9097-PC Old Ale Blend (Sacc/Brett) so they should be appearing soon.

Latest posts

Back