Beef and ale.

Help Support The HomeBrew Forum:

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
SWMBO is making beef and ale stew in the slow cooker she normally used dark beer but today bought Harpers Ruby Ale (pic from google images) can you food experts tell us if this will do the same job or do we need a darker beer?

1635008177392.png

Jim Brewster

Malt teaser
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm just doing a Guinness stew coincidentally.
If it was a lager or pale ale I would say probably not, but yours is still a fairly dark rich beer with some roasted malts so I think it will work. You wouldn't really want anything too bitter or highly hopped either but I would guess that's quite lightly hopped

Last edited:

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
We had leftover chicken today SWMBO thought it was a small bird but it was huge, the cats also appreciated it ;)

I think she is doing the beef and ale stew tomorrow, i will post the results.

the baron

Staff member
Reaction score
Round my parts they would use Black Sheep Ale or Theakstons Old Peculiar for Beef.
I have drunk the beer you have and it is a nice drink and may not be as strong in flavour but who's to say, it will be different so I would give it a go athumb..

NormanHurst

Regular.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For a classical beef and ale pie, I'd definitely lean towards the darker end of the spectrum but anything Ruby-ish will deliver a good result.

But also worth remembering that the Belgians cook a lot of beef with beer using a variety of styles. More than one way to skin a cat.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks all.
To be honest my taste buds are not what they used to be so i probably wouldn't notice the difference but obviously as Jim said If it was a lager or pale ale I probably would.

CD

Retired Brewer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder what Morrisons put into their Steak and Ale pies?

BarnBrian

Reaction score
SWMBO made beef and ale yesterday, the recipe called for a Belgian beer so she used St Stefanus Blonde, strangely it came out much richer than when she's used Guinness. Really tasty.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Update.

Just finished it and it was lovely and the good news is there is plenty left in the slow cooker for another meal tomorrow.

We bought the slow cooker a few years ago as we both worked odd shifts it was nice to come home to a ready made meal especially in winter, i am a big fan of corned beef hash which we make regularly in the slow cooker it reminds me of when i was a kid and my mother used to make it.

NormanHurst

Regular.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Update.

Just finished it and it was lovely and the good news is there is plenty left in the slow cooker for another meal tomorrow.

We bought the slow cooker a few years ago as we both worked odd shifts it was nice to come home to a ready made meal especially in winter, i am a big fan of corned beef hash which we make regularly in the slow cooker it reminds me of when i was a kid and my mother used to make it.
I'm a big slow cooker fan too. Takes a bit of getting used to but love putting a stew on of a Sunday morning, going out for a long walk and coming home to dinner.

BarnBrian

Reaction score
Update.

We always do corned beef hash in the frying pan, how do you do it in the slow cooker?

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
SWMBO uses the method in the first video we have never used the sliced potatoes method in video two.

Last edited: