Beef and ale.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
SWMBO is making beef and ale stew in the slow cooker she normally used dark beer but today bought Harpers Ruby Ale (pic from google images) can you food experts tell us if this will do the same job or do we need a darker beer?

1635008177392.png

I'm just doing a Guinness stew coincidentally.
If it was a lager or pale ale I would say probably not, but yours is still a fairly dark rich beer with some roasted malts so I think it will work. You wouldn't really want anything too bitter or highly hopped either but I would guess that's quite lightly hopped

Last edited:
We had leftover chicken today SWMBO thought it was a small bird but it was huge, the cats also appreciated it ;)

I think she is doing the beef and ale stew tomorrow, i will post the results.

Round my parts they would use Black Sheep Ale or Theakstons Old Peculiar for Beef.
I have drunk the beer you have and it is a nice drink and may not be as strong in flavour but who's to say, it will be different so I would give it a go athumb..

For a classical beef and ale pie, I'd definitely lean towards the darker end of the spectrum but anything Ruby-ish will deliver a good result.

But also worth remembering that the Belgians cook a lot of beef with beer using a variety of styles. More than one way to skin a cat.

Thanks all.
To be honest my taste buds are not what they used to be so i probably wouldn't notice the difference but obviously as Jim said If it was a lager or pale ale I probably would.

Update.

Just finished it and it was lovely and the good news is there is plenty left in the slow cooker for another meal tomorrow.

We bought the slow cooker a few years ago as we both worked odd shifts it was nice to come home to a ready made meal especially in winter, i am a big fan of corned beef hash which we make regularly in the slow cooker it reminds me of when i was a kid and my mother used to make it.

Update.

Just finished it and it was lovely and the good news is there is plenty left in the slow cooker for another meal tomorrow.

We bought the slow cooker a few years ago as we both worked odd shifts it was nice to come home to a ready made meal especially in winter, i am a big fan of corned beef hash which we make regularly in the slow cooker it reminds me of when i was a kid and my mother used to make it.
I'm a big slow cooker fan too. Takes a bit of getting used to but love putting a stew on of a Sunday morning, going out for a long walk and coming home to dinner.

Update.

We always do corned beef hash in the frying pan, how do you do it in the slow cooker?

SWMBO uses the method in the first video we have never used the sliced potatoes method in video two.

Last edited:
Back