Beer Advent Calender

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevey

Landlord.
Reaction score
Just sampled the 1st of my Beerhawk advent calender.

First up, Sierra Nevada California IPA.

I'm guessing most of us have tried this before.
I judged it to have a grapefruit, slightly sulphurous aroma, quite highly carbonated with a light body and a dry finish.
Overall score 29/40. I'd probably buy it again, it's the sort of beer I like to quaff sitting outside in summer.

I'd be interested to know if these calenders are all the same, if others have them, and to read their reviews.
I'm not the best at distinguishing different flavours, I think I've worn out my tastebuds over the years. acheers.

Number 2 is Westmalle trappist dubbel.

First time I've tried this, and I have to say I found it to be rather good.
I poured it slowly so there wasn't much head, and my glass killed the rest of it I think.

It didn't have a strong aroma, just slightly fruity/yeasty, which didn't give much of a clue of what was to come.
I thought it tasted of dark fruits, quite sweet and malty, it was quite fizzy on the tongue. It left a sweet taste in the mouth, but you can tell it's quite a strong beer.

I really liked this one, at 7% it's much stronger than the beers I usually go for, but I'll definitely buy it again. Even SWMBO liked it, which may, or may not be a good thing.

Busy couple of days, so 3 at once today.
#3 was saucery session IPA 3.9% I quite liked this one, a citrusy/floral pale. Quite a dry finish and refreshing, at an ABV which I would go for if on a session.

#4 Thornbridge Mint choc chip Lacuria 4.5%. Not quite sure what the lucaria bit's about, but I liked this one as well. It does what it says on the tin, (or bottle in this case) a nice mint/ chocolate taste with a hint of coffee, quite sweet. Not sure if I could drink many but one is nice.

#5 Fourpure Juicebox Citrus IPA 5.9%. it has a nice orangey aroma, and a very pronounced citrus zesty taste, a little overpowering for me, if I'm honest. I'm not a fan of anything too fruity, a little stronger than I'd usually buy.

#6 The wild beer co. Sleeping lemons. 3.6%. I liked the colour, but that was about it. I found it really sour, and thin. Yuk!

I saved fridays and had 2 today.
#7 Patagonia Santa Punch, 7.2% . Another citrussy/peachy IPA. You can really taste the strength of this one, quite nice, but far too strong (for me).

#8 All Caps American pilsner 4.5%. A light bodied, hoppy pilsner with a citrus hint. Very fizzy, it took about 5 mins to pour. Not bad although I wouldn't normally buy pilsner.

Well, I had a weeks holiday last week, so had to catch up in a couple of days. ;-)
#9 Spaten Optimator, a doppel bock @7.6%, quite liked this one.

#10 Roosters twenty four seven @4.7%, not bad but the citrusy IPA's are a bit samey.

#11 Pirate life Mosaic 7% citrus again.

#12 Mikkeller Henry Jagger 2.2%, could have forgiven the lack of alcohol if not for the citrus taste.

#13 belgian wild ale 6.7% this one smelt much better than it tasted, cherries mmm... then I tasted it. down the plughole it went.

#14 Moor BeerCo. Raw 4.3%, yep you guessed it, citrus!

#15 Brewdog's Electric India 5.2% I've not had this one before, it's a saison, I really enjoyed this one. I was thirsty though, it went down a treat.

#16 Hoegaarden Grand Cru 8.5%, not a style I have very often, but I enjoyed the sweet banana(?) taste. went down well and didn't feel as strong as it is.

#17 Tiny Rebel Dutty 4.2% another fruity IPA, this craft ale lark seems easy! Sort of craving an ordinary bitter.

Latest posts

Back