Beer and cancer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baz Chaz

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi folks,
Last July I was diagnosed with throat cancer, various bits of surgery were needed to locate the primary source, then followed with 6 weeks of daily chemo and radiotherapy. Understatement of the decade is 'it was a difficult time' following treatment!
The good news is they completely nuked the cancer! All traces gone and last month was given a piece of paper which stated, 'Complete response to treatment' and 'No signs of recurrent cancer'.

The bad news was early days eating and drinking was very difficult, 'ground zero' if you will, was at the base of the tongue and tonsil area. However, things have moved on nicely, the main problem is eating or drinking anything acidic and beer, by its very nature ie stuffed full of hops, is very acidic. The inside of my mouth, tongue and lips were incredibly sensitive to beer!

A few experiments and reducing the amount of hops all round have got me back enjoying a beer or two. My 'stock' of brews BC (before cancer) are maturing well and being given to visitors sat on the decking in the sunshine.
New brews have reduced both the bittering and aroma hops and I am able to enjoy beer again.
Previously beers would all be between 35 and 45 IBUs, new beers are around 20, bit more like a session ale, light and gluggable, but more to the point, for me, no stinging mouth!

Luckily my Oncologist is very much a 'real world' type of guy and happily discussed alcohol without any lectures. The scientist in him was intrigued about dropping the hops down to get rid of acidity and he was quite encouraging.

So, successful beer comes in all types and styles and in this case less (hops) is better! Don't be afraid to experiment and brew the beer you can enjoy drinking!

Cheers Everyone

Bottling today the latest batch of lightly hopped bitter.

15 litre batch

3kg Marris Otter
200g Wheat Malt
100g Toasted Malt
20g Crystal 90

15g Simcoe pellet @ 30 mins
10g Amarillo @flame out
Safeale S-04 yeast

OG 1.050
FG 1.013
ABV 4.85
Col 6.4
IBU 22

It's great that you're on the mend and getting back to normal gradually. Really positive. I suppose you have a new brewing adventure ahead, experimenting what works for you and how to get the most of the flavours from malt and yeast without going too bitter.

Thanks for sharing.

It's very refreshing to hear "Luckily my Oncologist is very much a 'real world' type of guy and happily discussed alcohol without any lectures."

I recently had a discussion with a female Oncologist (I'm not ill myself) and she got onto risk factors and flat out said "Don't drink any alcohol at all". Good job I didn't mention the Cuban cigars and crystal meth...

Glad to hear you're on the mend.
I had a heart attack a few years ago, fixed with a couple of stents, but was ever so relieved when I read the leaflets they discharged me with. Basically said carry on as normal regarding alcohol. Phew.

Hi folks,
Last July I was diagnosed with throat cancer, various bits of surgery were needed to locate the primary source, then followed with 6 weeks of daily chemo and radiotherapy. Understatement of the decade is 'it was a difficult time' following treatment!
The good news is they completely nuked the cancer! All traces gone and last month was given a piece of paper which stated, 'Complete response to treatment' and 'No signs of recurrent cancer'.

The bad news was early days eating and drinking was very difficult, 'ground zero' if you will, was at the base of the tongue and tonsil area. However, things have moved on nicely, the main problem is eating or drinking anything acidic and beer, by its very nature ie stuffed full of hops, is very acidic. The inside of my mouth, tongue and lips were incredibly sensitive to beer!

A few experiments and reducing the amount of hops all round have got me back enjoying a beer or two. My 'stock' of brews BC (before cancer) are maturing well and being given to visitors sat on the decking in the sunshine.
New brews have reduced both the bittering and aroma hops and I am able to enjoy beer again.
Previously beers would all be between 35 and 45 IBUs, new beers are around 20, bit more like a session ale, light and gluggable, but more to the point, for me, no stinging mouth!

Luckily my Oncologist is very much a 'real world' type of guy and happily discussed alcohol without any lectures. The scientist in him was intrigued about dropping the hops down to get rid of acidity and he was quite encouraging.

So, successful beer comes in all types and styles and in this case less (hops) is better! Don't be afraid to experiment and brew the beer you can enjoy drinking!

Cheers Everyone

15 litre batch

3kg Marris Otter
200g Wheat Malt
100g Toasted Malt
20g Crystal 90

10g Amarillo @flame out
Safeale S-04 yeast

OG 1.050
FG 1.013
ABV 4.85
Col 6.4
IBU 22
great to hear of your recovery athumb.. . Wheat beer is low in ibu's I use tettnang about 2% AA. On the other side of the scale you have something like Galaxy which can be around 16% AA

Hi folks,

Cheers Everyone

15 litre batch

3kg Marris Otter
200g Wheat Malt
100g Toasted Malt
20g Crystal 90

10g Amarillo @flame out
Safeale S-04 yeast

OG 1.050
FG 1.013
ABV 4.85
Col 6.4
IBU 22
Thanks for the update and certainly wish you all the best and a complete recovery.

Back