Beer and Curry

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheshire Cat

Landlord.
Reaction score
I know the Floyd story about cooking with alcohol and sometimes putting it in the food. However has anyone used beer as the stock for a curry? If so please publish.

I haven't but I'd guess using it for something spicy to slow cook would work well. For a curry cooked more rapidly I'm guessing it could be a bit watery though I guess how much you put in and how you thicken the sauce would dictate that.

My lot go mad for a beef and stout stew cooked all day in the slow cooker. The sauce thickens nicely over time due to the flour used on the meat before cooking and the vegetables etc. Lob a few spoons of curry powder in there and I'm sure it would be as nice but different.

haven’t tried it in a curry but regularly use it with a beef stew And sometimes in a chilli. If you want to go all posh You could get away with some white wine in a curry veloute sauce for fish.

might try it in my next beef curry

Yeah slow cooked a brisket or beef join with an ale or a red ale.. and used the stock juices and ale after cooked in the gravy.

Never used in in a curry though.

I haven't but I'd guess using it for something spicy to slow cook would work well. For a curry cooked more rapidly I'm guessing it could be a bit watery though I guess how much you put in and how you thicken the sauce would dictate that.

My lot go mad for a beef and stout stew cooked all day in the slow cooker. The sauce thickens nicely over time due to the flour used on the meat before cooking and the vegetables etc. Lob a few spoons of curry powder in there and I'm sure it would be as nice but different.
We are the same, a nice beef stew made with plenty of stout.

I made a beef & stout stew when we went on a late holiday to Cornwall with friends but I made too much and we only used half. The next day, I threw in a good handful of sultanas and half a pot of mild curry powder and they absolutely loved it. I can’t say I did particularly - it tasted the same as the old Vesta Beef Curry (if you remember those). I’ve deliberately made it for those friends several times since then because they ask for it!

We are the same, a nice beef stew made with plenty of stout.

I made a beef & stout stew when we went on a late holiday to Cornwall with friends but I made too much and we only used half. The next day, I threw in a good handful of sultanas and half a pot of mild curry powder and they absolutely loved it. I can’t say I did particularly - it tasted the same as the old Vesta Beef Curry (if you remember those). I’ve deliberately made it for those friends several times since then because they ask for it!
Ahh vesta the best curry in a box money can buy lol.
You can still get them in b & m. Along with fray bentos pie in a tin.

I'd add a hoppy IPA to an Indian or Thai curry. Reduce the water by the volume of beer you're adding and thicken with cornflour.
Dark beers for stews casseroles, basically what you'd drink with a meal would go in it.

Back