Beer and Veganism

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BradleyW

Regular.
Reaction score
With the rise of popularity of veganism currently, there's something that I've been wondering, especially when I see the vegan label plastered on beer cans. How do vegans justify drinking beer when yeast is a living organism? Not only is it a living organism but we are "forcing" its growth through brewing practices. This may seem like a bit of an exaggeration but many vegans avoid honey because they argue we are forcing bees to go beyond what they would do naturally. Us messing about with nature is one of the arguments of veganism, not just killing things to eat them.
I have nothing against veganism, I'm just wondering how they get round drinking beer (or anything with yeast). Be interested to hear from any vegan brewers out there.

As a keen gardener I often wonder if plants are sentient.????

In reallity its eat or be eaten

Nothing else.!!!!!

Better not tell them that isinglass is often used as finings then.
Which is why some beers are labelled as vegan. Since getting my keeezer I've stopped using any kind of finings - and a good cold crash and time in the keg seem to remove pretty much all I used to think I was removing with finings.

Wines are also sometimes treated with milk as a fining agent, so again you'll see some wines specifically labelled as vegan.

Back