Beer engine - worth a punt?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tombo

Reaction score
Hi, I have been offered 2x Angram beer engines/hand pulls , they have come from a pub strip down and I've been told that they are unsure of the working condition etc. Is it worth a punt @ £20 each? Maybe buy both and use one to strip down and see how they work before I make a mistake?
Anyone any idea where I can get repair kits from and how much they cost please?

I think I'm going to get them, it's got to be worth it - 2x for £40.
Of course, I don't know your financial situation, but if you can, do it! I did exactly the same last year. One is now up and running nicely. The other needs a little more attention but i certainly fixable.
If you haven't already seen it, there's an excellent thread on beer engines (I'll have a look tomorrow for the link).

Of course, I don't know your financial situation, but if you can, do it! I did exactly the same last year. One is now up and running nicely. The other needs a little more attention but i certainly fixable.
If you haven't already seen it, there's an excellent thread on beer engines (I'll have a look tomorrow for the link).
Please do. I have no idea what I am faced with and how to (maybe) fix them. Who knows though, they may just need a good clean.

Have a look at this thread I started will give you plenty of pointers.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/beer-engine-strip-down-advice.691756/#post-9095533
I'd bite someone's arm off for a 20 pound engine.
Like many brewing things they breed.
I'm picking up supplies / ancillaries on my return to UK next week.
Still some work to do on the engine bar but progress.
Engines here are like hens teeth, but worth having.
IyLZS-ylupwjmpek5oglk66h3pgrxt.jpeg

Time was that an England test victory was as well!

Last edited:
Just buy them, you can get all the spare parts easily. Usually they’ll just need a good clean and possibly a few seals replacing. Spend the money to do them up and sell one for £150 on eBay and the other will then have cost you nothing.

Just an update, I went to have a look at these 2 handpulls and they were in a dreadful state, I can see now why they were only £20 each. I'm willing to do some work on them but not the amount either of these needed.

Latest posts

Back