Beer Enhancer/Spray Malt

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mancer62

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi there just looking for some thougths and advice.
Wilkos currently sell 500g Muntons Spray Malt light & medium for £4.50.
They are also selling 1kg Geordie Beer Enhancer at £4.50.
The usual cost of the Enhancer being £6. I tried to purchase it few weeks ago when it was advertised at £3 but like many others was told it was out of stock (how convenient).
Now back on the shelves I was wondering which of the two you would say was the better value?

Hi there just looking for some thougths and advice.
Wilkos currently sell 500g Muntons Spray Malt light & medium for £4.50.
They are also selling 1kg Geordie Beer Enhancer at £4.50.
The usual cost of the Enhancer being £6. I tried to purchase it few weeks ago when it was advertised at £3 but like many others was told it was out of stock (how convenient).
Now back on the shelves I was wondering which of the two you would say was the better value?
Beer enhancer is 50% malt extract (spray malt) and 50% dextrose (brewing sugar)
Wilkos sell Dextrose for £2.50 per kilo (£1.25 per 500 g) and spray malt for £4.50 per 500g, so to buy both and mix would cost £5.75 per kilo, making the beer enhancer better value on paper.
However what you need to ask yourself is 'Do I want to be adding sugar to my beer? as you will get better quality with all malt.

At the prices Wilko charge for spray malt it's cheaper to buy liquid malt from Holland and Barrett and use that, even when they do not have a 'buy one get one half price' sale as they had recently.
https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/...quid-malt-half-price-offer.76116/#post-742797
However, if you are a regular homebrewer, the best way of buying homebrew stuff, unless you have a LHBS and want to support that, is to plan ahead and buy stuff online. I recently bought a load of stuff for my store from The Homebrewcompany in their 10% off sale. Their prices are cheaper than most anyway , they have big range of stuff, even without the sale forum members normally get a discount, and the only drawback is you have to spend £70 to qualify for free p&p. Other online suppliers will have similar deals.

You can get a whole kg of Spraymalt from the Malt Miller for £5.90, it's good quality too.

I know you need to pay postage but just buy in bulk with other ingredients, will work out cheaper.

Their Brew Enhancer is normally £6. £4.50 is what you pay online.

It's £4.50 in store now, I was there yesterday. I didn't need any as I was lucky enough to get a few at £3 in the recent sale.

Quick question on malt extract...

If a recipe needs to use 1kg of Dry Malt Extract, could this be substituted with 1kg of Liquid Malt Extract?

What I mean is, is the ratio between LME and DME 1:1 ?

Thank you.

Latest posts

Back