beer finings for WOW(WINE)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frogbrew

Landlord.
Reaction score
I asked my missus to fetch me some finings from wilkos while she was out and brought me back beer finings (chitosan). Can i use this to clear my WOW or not?

I have never used Chitosan but have found this -

Chitosan (positive charge): As the name implies, it is composed of chitin, which is the structural element of the exoskeletons of crustaceans, such as crabs, shrimp and other shell fish. Chitosan is especially popular in clearing white wines, since it does not require the aid of tannins to clear, as do some fining agents like gelatine. When used with negatively-charged Kieselsol it is an effective remover of most suspended proteins and solids.
https://winemakermag.com/26-a-clearer-understanding-of-fining-agents

If I remember right from reading the back of a pack of Wilko A/B wine finings, one half is Chitosan, the other Kieselsol, so you have in effect half of the wine fining pack! So it could work, and is unlikely to do any harm

Thanks guys I'll give it a go. :)
I've used a one part before being isinglass and worked fine but don't know ingredients of that.

Latest posts

Back