Beer Flavour

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No idea if the taste is the same, but my first two all grain brews had what I recognised as 'home brew' taste from my kit days. I changed two things - I acquired a fridge and temperature controller to keep my fermentation temperature locked at 18C in the first 3-4 days (when it is most exothermic) and I did simple water treatment - pre-boiling with a Campden tablet and adding a bit of Gypsum and Epsom salts. The taste disappeared and has never come back. Unfortunately, I don't know which of those interventions was the answer! A less lazy person would do a series of test brews, leaving one of them out each time .... the only experiment I have made is dosing the water with CRS rather than pre-boiling in order to reduce it's native carbonate - that seemed to taste fine too (still used the Campden tablet).

At least these are cheap and easy things to try and also to continue with in the longer term (apart from the fermentation fridge, I suppose, where you may have constraints of space if not budget).

Hi, apologies I’ve only just seen your post. The taste you describe is spot on, it tastes like my old kits. I’d be curious to know a rough amount of Epsom salts and Gypsum you use so I can give that a go.
I do use a temperature controlled fridge for ferment, also for dispense from cornies, so temperature is pretty well controlled.
I have just started drinking a wheat beer I did which has no ”kit” flavour and never does have when I brew them, yet the TTL clone that’s been conditioning for 2 weeks is just starting to get it.

Hi - for a 20 to 25l batch of water for general purposes I’d add 1-2 tsp gypsum and no more than 1/2 tsp Epsom. Pretty much following Graham Wheeler. Putting it all through a water calculator wasn’t much different. The
principle is to give enough Ca to reduce alkalinity and a touch of magnesium for the yeast. Key is really clamping down on temperature in the first 3 days when off flavours are most likely to develop (plus removing any chlorine/chloramine).

Brilliant, thanks for that, I’ve just ordered some for my next brew.

Hi All
So I’m two brews in using the simple water treatment mentioned by DixeySJ and wow, what a difference. The ”home brew” flavour has completely gone and I’m now producing decent tasting beer. Incredible to think that such a small tweak has such an impact. Thank you DixeySJ

Hi All
So I’m two brews in using the simple water treatment mentioned by DixeySJ and wow, what a difference. The ”home brew” flavour has completely gone and I’m now producing decent tasting beer. Incredible to think that such a small tweak has such an impact. Thank you DixeySJ
Excellent news! Helpful to know that I am also on the right lines with this ... :)

Back