• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to The Homebrew Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Beer fridge needed

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just an update guys, won a decent fridge on ebay today £26 on pay after delivery athumb.. downside is it's a tad further than I wanted to travel, oh well gives me and Mrs B a trip out and should help the DPF on the SUV.

Always a good idea to give them a blast now and again you could get several new fridges for the price of a new DPF.

Tell me about it, just had to have a forced regeneration(wifes car not mine) and she was always stuck in traffic on her commute, just moved house and her commute is mostly on the A14(dual carriageway) now so fingers crossed and toes :mad:

I work close to home so give the car a good blast down the duel carriageway once a week to get it up to temperature i also keep it in fourth with the revs high for long stretches, i have never seen the active regeneration light come on.

Active regeneration

Active regeneration means extra fuel is injected automatically, as part of the vehicle's ECU, when a filter reaches a predetermined limit (normally about 45%) to raise the temperature of the exhaust and burn off the stored soot.

Problems can occur, however, if the journey is too short, as the regeneration process may not complete fully.

If this is the case the warning light will continue to show the filter is still partially blocked.

I had a 2 litre VW diesel, with less than 60K on the clock, which we p/x'd last year and the regenerations were getting more frequent. Whether that's anything to do with the dieselgate mod I have no idea. Anyway the car could have been on a long run and yet several days later the engine would still go through another cycle. And the more regenerations you do the more the deposits build up and sooner or later get to the point where the filter become clogged and a regeneration whether forced or not will not clear it. Then you have to buy another filter and they are not cheap. For DPF read PITA . And I now have a petrol car.

I have owned my vauxhall 5 years and I have never seen the regen light come on so maybe it is a VW thing, I recently had to replace the EGR valve as it stopped working which is common on diesels and is not cheap, my next car will also be petrol.

I only ever had the light on once at the outset, had no idea what was happening, but was fortunately near the VW dealer, who told me to drive up the motorway at 70mph in 5th for about 10 minutes. It did work. However on the car I had you knew there was a regen going on because the tickover revs rose and sometimes the engine cooling fan would be running if you switched off the engine. And if it hadn't finished the whole cycle seemed to start again burning yet more fuel.
DPFs are a recentish pollution control innovation. I had four diesels over 20+ years, all VW except one, and never only had problems like this other than the last one.
And if you do an internet search for DPF problems there are many tales of woe.

What Vauxhall have you got Chippy, my wife has the Antara SE Nav S/start and its 5 years old now, bought it last year for towing a caravan.

And if you do an internet search for DPF problems there are many tales of woe.

I think the biggest problem is cars with DPF's being sold to people who only potter about, car sales people selling cars equipped with DPF's to unsuspecting city dwellers should have their balls cut off they knew exactly what was going to happen but did it anyway.

I think the biggest problem is cars with DPF's being sold to people who only potter about, car sales people selling cars equipped with DPF's to unsuspecting city dwellers should have their balls cut off they knew exactly what was going to happen but did it anyway.

Unfortunately they put a 6th gear on the Antara so when you're doing 70mph it's less than 2000 revs which is what they recommend to do a regen. We have been advised to put DPF cleaner in every 3rd refill as this helps.

If your car has an EGR valve (worth checking as i didn't know until it stuck and it cost me over £150 to get it sorted) and you have had the car a while its worth occasionally adding the additive below to keep it and all the other components clean and problem free, ragging the car will help the DPF as has been said above it will not stop the EGR valve gumming up.

2012-08-03_234053_5_egr_valves.jpg

What is an EGR valve, and how does it work?
“EGR” stands for exhaust gas recirculation. When engine combustion temperatures near 2500°F, the formation of smog-producing nitrogen oxides (NOx) increases. Exhaust, however, is mostly composed of carbon dioxide (CO2), which does not burn. The function of the EGR valve is to recirculate small amounts of exhaust back into the combustion chambers of the engine in order to decrease the combustion temperature, thereby reducing the formation of smog-producing nitrogen oxides. EGR valves can malfunction by becoming stuck open or closed due to carbon buildup. When an EGR valve malfunctions CO2 is reintroduced to the combustion chamber at the incorrect time or in incorrect amounts, which does not decrease the combustion temperature sufficiently enough to prevent the increase of NOx.
https://www.fixdapp.com/blog/what-is-an-egr-valve

Wynns Xtreme Diesel System Cleaner is a powerful one tank clean-up, designed to protect, restore and maintain efficiency of modern high pressure common rail diesel engines.
  • For all diesel engines
  • Cleans and protects the engines fuel pump and injectors
  • Maintains cleanliness of the EGR Valve and DPF
  • Lubricity additive protects the fuel pump and injectors
View the Safety Data Sheet

Unfortunately they put a 6th gear on the Antara so when you're doing 70mph it's less than 2000 revs which is what they recommend to do a regen

Keep the car in a low enough gear to keep the revs up fourth should do it.

Got one here for you. Ideal beer garage fridge. Gwo and best of all free. You just need to collect from Barnsley south Yorkshire

Got one here for you. Ideal beer garage fridge. Gwo and best of all free. You just need to collect from Barnsley south Yorkshire

Thanks for the reply @Davewhit wouldn't have been a problem a couple of months ago as I was covering that area for work until I took Voluntary redundancy, my office was in Leeds. I posted a few days ago that I won one on ebay and I picked it up last Saturday, paid 26 quid and it's immaculate. Think the post got a tad lost as the conversation took a bit of a swerve onto DPF's on diesel cars.

Thanks and happy brewing

Latest posts

Back