Beer/Gas line size, advice needed

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewDan

Landlord.
Reaction score
Im just about to puchase some new beer and gas line, having bought some dalex taps. I was going to change to barbed connections before, but I am now going to stick with the JG fittings.

I am looking for some flexible gas line, as I dont like ths rigid stuff I have as its hard to fit in the fridge. At the moment on fleaby I am looking at 'clear PVC braided hose 10mm/ 3/8" internal diameter' with a 15mm external diameter, does anyone know if this would be suitable gas line for JG fittings? I have a feeling it may be too thick and wont fit, but I am not sure what I am looking at with these measurements.

Similarly, I want to get a good few meters of beer line, but I read on a listing that industry standard gas line is a different size to the beer line? which is the main reason for this post, as it threw me off track a bit, so I am not really sure what I am looking for now, I thought I had it sussed :wha:

I know they are silly questions, but any pointers would be great, thanks :thumb:

JG fittings need quite a rigid pipe to clamp onto without distorting it, and they need 3/8" OD not ID (e.g. here or here). But maybe you could find a way to splice a section of the clear stuff you found onto some normal beer line.

If you really have trouble with flexibility though, 3/16" line is available too (e.g. here or here). Its a bit less standard but you can get JG fittings to step down to this size and back up to normal 3/16" at the other end; some types of fitting adapt to/from 3/8" line or the 'stem' type of adaptor can push directly into a 3/8" JG fitting (I think that link is the right way around, anyway). Its not unusual for people to do this so that they can have shorter beer lines that create the same resistance as longer fatter ones. I've seen some 3/16" line being sold as 'gas or beer' line in the past so presumably it can work for gas too, but I've not tried that myself so seek some verification.

There are a number of different sizes of beer/product and gas line in use as well as a number of different dispensing systems; the lines used for cornies is normally 3/16" OD by default.

Cheers
Kev

Someone on here was selling some fancy beer line - worth a search or a look in the for sale section - IIRC it was very reasonable and very flexible, the people who ordered some were mighty impressed :thumb:

THISi is what I use for Beer line and gas line, flexible enough to feed through a keggerator and fine with gas out on a gas management board

That's excellent guys, exactly the sort of answers I was looking for!! :hat: :thumb: :thumb: thank you for taking the time to get all that info together for me, its pretty much cleared everything up again, I shall be purchasing some of the line you all seem to have mentioned, it was actually what I had on my watch list in the first place!! :rofl: typical haha.

Problem solved :cheers:

Latest posts

Back