beer gas

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steakpie

Reaction score
I would like to try carbonation and wondered if anyone could tell me if there is anywhere in Lanarkshire/Glasgow I could get co2 or mixed gas bottles. I am new to this.

There will be loads of places.

Expect to pay a deposit for the cylinder and a refill cost. Some places want to change a monthly rent - I'd ignore those people.

What else do you have? You'll need a few bits and a pressure vessel

There will be loads of places.

Expect to pay a deposit for the cylinder and a refill cost. Some places want to change a monthly rent - I'd ignore those people.

What else do you have? You'll need a few bits and a pressure vessel
Got Corny keg, lines and connectors also Mk4 regulator. Getting more equipment as I go

Got Corny keg, lines and connectors also Mk4 regulator. Getting more equipment as I go

Just search co2 and your area and either call or email the first few that come up. Then choose the cheapest. Mine deliver for free and after the deposit it's a tenner a pop

I would like to try carbonation and wondered if anyone could tell me if there is anywhere in Lanarkshire/Glasgow I could get co2 or mixed gas bottles. I am new to this.
I got a recommendation from a local amateur brewing group. It might be worth seeing if you have one locally who could recommend a supplier.

Ignore them? That might be a mistake.

I do pay rental. About £14 to buy the 6.35Kg gas, no deposit for cylinder, 50p a month cylinder rental. Is that a bad deal? I don't think so.
After about 11 years you have paid more than the 65 quid deposit I paid. What a rip off!

I'm looking for beer gas as well (similar thread). It seems almost impossible to find something sensible. I'm based in SE London in Orpington there doesn't seem to be anyone who does refills relatively close. I'm considering buying a 2kg tank from GEB for £99 but looks like I'll have to drive to another town to get it refilled. What's the cost of refilling a CO2 tank of that size?

I'm looking for beer gas as well (similar thread). It seems almost impossible to find something sensible. I'm based in SE London in Orpington there doesn't seem to be anyone who does refills relatively close. I'm considering buying a 2kg tank from GEB for £99 but looks like I'll have to drive to another town to get it refilled. What's the cost of refilling a CO2 tank of that size?

You could consider contacting some local pubs/bars and asking who they get theirs from, or if they'd mind you getting one delivered on their order. Speak to the manager and you might be able to work something out. Would work better if it's your local and they know you

Also try Facebook for local homebrew clubs and ask them where they get theirs from.

Last edited:
That's really expensive. I'd be looking for somewhere that offers CO2 for cheaper than that.
Your right, looking at the prices some people are paying. I got mine when we first went into lockdown and I was furloughed so didn't want to **** about shopping around and it was delivered, I can always get my deposit back and shop around (if I wanted to)

Ignore them? That might be a mistake.

I do pay rental. About £14 to buy the 6.35Kg gas, no deposit for cylinder, 50p a month cylinder rental. Is that a bad deal? I don't think so.
Not where I live

London is hard. I called 20 places and ended up paying something like 80 quid deposit and 20 refill.
They deliver though.

North London
https://www.londongases.co.uk/But it looks like the prices are now:
36 refill and 96 deposit.
Thanks for the link! The initial outlay is cheaper than GEB, a few quid less but has more CO2.

Crikey they really do fleece you down there! refill still £16.20 in Chesterfield last week when I picked up a replacement bottle.
Just some extra tax for living in the best city in the world :laugh8: . How much gas does £16.20 get you out of interest?

In the thread I linked in my last post a couple of forumites recommended a regulator, but are gas cylinder connections standardised? If I get the gas cylinder from this company and then buy a Kegland regulator from a HBS, are they likely to fit or do I need to find out what connection the cylinder has first?

Most C02 cylinders are standard fittings for regulators, make sure you get food grade and if you remember weigh the cylinder when it's full and then when it's empty so you can monitor how much C02 you have.

Back