beer gas

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the link! The initial outlay is cheaper than GEB, a few quid less but has more CO2.

Just some extra tax for living in the best city in the world :laugh8: . How much gas does £16.20 get you out of interest?

In the thread I linked in my last post a couple of forumites recommended a regulator, but are gas cylinder connections standardised? If I get the gas cylinder from this company and then buy a Kegland regulator from a HBS, are they likely to fit or do I need to find out what connection the cylinder has first?
As far as I can work out some pubgas (n2 and co2) use a different connection to co2

Got mine from gasandhireltd who are in Chesterfield and Sheffield. 6.35kg air liquide CO2 bottle was £50 inc. VAT deposit but only 50% refund within first year then nothing after. Refills aren't bad though £16.20 inc VAT

Just some extra tax for living in the best city in the world :laugh8: . How much gas does £16.20 get you out of interest?
It’s not just London. My options are poor up here. We have a BOC dealer and a Hobbyweld agent in Dundee and both have been a nightmare to get in contact with over the last fortnight. I started looking further afield at the weekend ended up agreeing to go with a Hobbyweld dealer in Fife at the end of the month.

It’s £65 deposit and £36 a refill so not the cheapest but I can double it up with a trip to collect grain from Crafty Maltster saving their postage costs.

I know that Brew_DD2 travels to Stirling for £20ish a refill but he’s much closer to Stirling than I am. It’s about 65 miles (1hr16 according to Google Maps) compared to 30 (47mins) to the place in Fife. I reckon an hour of my time plus £6 in petrol is worth the extra £15 a refill.

Last edited:
Hi, does anyone know of a co2 gas supplier based around Ballymena in Northern Ireland other than GeB?
Paint &Components in Ballymoney quoted £29 for 6.5 kg of CO2 but wanted a £90 deposit (50% refund if returned)

It's a bit of a hike from Ballymena but Gas Gear and Tech on the Glen Road in Belfast quoted about £20 for the same amount of gas and a nominal deposit...

South Street in Glasgow.EXPRESS FUELS. They do food grade CO2 and I think beer gas also, as well as butane etc.
CO2 was £40 deposit and £18 refill for 15kg or so. I pick up but they might deliver. Phone ‘em!

I go with hobbyweld (as mentioned £65 deposit, £35 fill). Whilst this is quite expensive the supplier is 10 mins away and a cylinder lasts about a year despite brewing (and drinking) a lot. If I found somewhere cheaper I might save £10-15 a year on CO2, Im not going to stress over a tenner a year!

My advice would be to find somewhere that supplies CO2 and is local and not worry about the cost (unless it is stupid money).

It’s not just London. My options are poor up here. We have a BOC dealer and a Hobbyweld agent in Dundee and both have been a nightmare to get in contact with over the last fortnight. I started looking further afield at the weekend ended up agreeing to go with a Hobbyweld dealer in Fife at the end of the month.

It’s £65 deposit and £36 a refill so not the cheapest but I can double it up with a trip to collect grain from Crafty Maltster saving their postage costs.

I know that Brew_DD2 travels to Stirling for £20ish a refill but he’s much closer to Stirling than I am. It’s about 65 miles (1hr16 according to Google Maps) compared to 30 (47mins) to the place in Fife. I reckon an hour of my time plus £6 in petrol is worth the extra £15 a refill.
It does seem a bit expensive, but when you calculate it per brew and per bottle, it doesn't increase the overall cost that much. It would definitely be better if it were cheaper and more convenient though. I think there are a couple of places in Rochester and Dartford which would be the nearest to me, I need to see what their prices are for refilling and compare taking into account petrol and time.

Do you think service has been bad because of Coronavirus?

Do you think service has been bad because of Coronavirus?
Not necessarily. There’s a thread about gas in the Dundee/Perth area and I believe that the Hobbyweld place was trying to give the wrong prices in that thread.

Paint &Components in Ballymoney quoted £29 for 6.5 kg of CO2 but wanted a £90 deposit (50% refund if returned)

It's a bit of a hike from Ballymena but Gas Gear and Tech on the Glen Road in Belfast quoted about £20 for the same amount of gas and a nominal deposit...

I couldn’t find anywhere in Belfast when I looked. I get then delivered from depot.ie who are based in Galway. It’s about 30 quid for 1.5kg though so will check out glen road.

I don't know if I'm just getting lucky but I asked my local pubs who they use and I'm getting £10.50 refills and pay £10 per year bottle rental down here in West Sussex

I think some people are paying a lot of money! I’ve never paid more than £20 to trade my empty bottles for a full one. Never used a refill service either - it’s always a reconditioned traded bottle so you know the seals have been checked etc. My advice would be avoid the big chain companies. When I first started and contacted them it felt like I was a distraction and they weren’t bothered about my business. Instead, google a few local welding suppliers who’d welcome your custom.

I think some people are paying a lot of money! I’ve never paid more than £20 to trade my empty bottles for a full one. Never used a refill service either - it’s always a reconditioned traded bottle so you know the seals have been checked etc. My advice would be avoid the big chain companies. When I first started and contacted them it felt like I was a distraction and they weren’t bothered about my business. Instead, google a few local welding suppliers who’d welcome your custom.

you‘re not joking. I had a refil delivered today that cost me 48 euros Including delivery- 1.5kg only

I called into P&C on Tuesday and they quoted me £140+vat for the 1st full 6kg tank and £40+vat for each fill after.Gas tech want £75 and then £25 a fill.

Just had a refill today - £30 for 6kg's (discount from 6.36kg's as he's been getting alot of underfills recently). Neon Auto's in Sutton Coldfield in case anyone is in the vicinity. I just go direct to them.

Latest posts

Back