Beer Gravity Not Changing - Please Help! :?:

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeAdz

Reaction score
Hi all,

So I am brewing Youngs American IPA, the guide says to add hops at S.G. of 1.010 or below and guidance on final S.G. is below 1.007. My problem is I checked the gravity on 9th March and it was 1.014 and now I have checked again 3 days later and its still at 0.014 - it doesn't seem to be moving?

What do I do? It's been brewing for almost 2 weeks and the guide says it takes 15 days for complete fermentation. Please advise as this is my first beer brew.

thanks!

Hi all,

So I am brewing Youngs American IPA, the guide says to add hops at S.G. of 1.010 or below and guidance on final S.G. is below 1.007. My problem is I checked the gravity on 9th March and it was 1.014 and now I have checked again 3 days later and its still at 0.014 - it doesn't seem to be moving?

What do I do? It's been brewing for almost 2 weeks and the guide says it takes 15 days for complete fermentation. Please advise as this is my first beer brew.

thanks!
1.014 is within the range of a normal finishing gravity. If it's all grain, than its possible your mash temperature was slightly too high. If it's a kit brew, I believe they can sometimes not attenuate all the way sometimes.

For example, if brewing a stout or a bitter, it's common to aim for a final gravity of 1.014 or higher to ensure body in the beer so I wouldn't worry at all.

If the gravity is stable and you've checked it over a period of 2 or 3 days and it's not moving, it will be fine.

Hi all,

thanks!

That kit is notorious for taking a long time. When I did it it took 3 weeks, really creeping down slowly for the last few points. I would gently rouse the yeast and turn temperature up to say 23 degrees and leave another week

Hi all,

thanks!

You could first check the temperature just to make sure it hasn’t dropped to a point where the yeast has gone dormant. Your kit should tell you what temperature you need but typically around 18-20C.

If the temperature is good, go ahead and follow the instructions from when fermentation is complete.

From my experience this kit can take a long time especially if you are fermenting at less than 20*C, and it also should ferment out to 1.008 or below. Others report the same.
So if it has stuck (ie the yeast has gone to sleep for whatever reason) there are a few things you can do here
https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/...s-for-dealing-with-stuck-fermentations.74910/
Gentle rousing (without entraining air) and raising the temperature as others have suggested are included
But I would not bottle until you have at least tried to get the gravity down some more, in case the primary fermentation restarts in the bottle and for that reason I suggest you use at least one PET bottle to see how your beer has carbed up after priming and bottling. Rock hard may mean overpressure.
Finally check your hydrometer is reading correctly. If you dunk it in clean water at 20*C (or whatever the calibration temperature is) it should read 1.000. If it doesn't you will have to apply a correction.

Hi all,

thanks!
Last time i made this it started with sg of 1.056 and got down to 1.008 in just under 2 weeks at 22 deg C. I use an aquarium heater to control temperature. I know others have commented that it can take a while to finish. Thats not been my experience so maybe this yeast likes a consistent temperature. 1.014 seems too high to risk bottling. I normally wait until I'm sure fermentation is finished before dry hopping for a couple of days. I think you have some good advice from terrym and I'd do what he suggests.

Latest posts

Back