Beer Gun / Counter Pressure bottle filler.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markp

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi guys,
Sorry I have not bee posting much of late.....I've been very, very busy.

Yes, muddy.....I know I owe you a review, I'll try and get that done tonight :oops:

My birthday is approaching and I've been looking at a Blichmann Beer Gun or a counter pressure bottle filler.
I'd like to be able to bottle bright, carbonated beer from a corny keg.

Has anyone got any experience of either of these??
The beer gun seems a lot simpler to use, but I've read some comments that a counter pressure filler is better.

I'd appreciate any input that anyone could give.
Many thanks :cool:

I use a beer gun to make the process of bottling my beer simpler . . .I could just use 10 feet of 3/16th line and low pressure on the corny to bottle bright beer . . . but I also use my Beer Gun as a 'little bottler' on a fermenter . . . or attached to a syphon tube . . . which is tricky to do with a CPBF.

It's a nice to have not an essential . . . and remember to order the additional fitting kit to allow you to purge the bottles with CO2 cutting down on oxidation on bottling.

Vossy1 said:
but I also use my Beer Gun as a 'little bottler' on a fermenter . . . or attached to a syphon tube . . . which is tricky to do with a CPBF
Why's that A ?
Because the bottle is full of CO2 under pressure . . . when you open the beer flow valve the CO2 would flow back into the FV . . . Of course you can do it by 'burping' the bottle once you have pressurised it, and releasing the pressure in the bottle . . . you only need to forget once though and the CO2 bubbles back into the FV Stirring up the yeast sediment . . . . Don't ask How I know :roll:

Because the bottle is full of CO2 under pressure . . . when you open the beer flow valve the CO2 would flow back into the FV . . . Of course you can do it by 'burping' the bottle once you have pressurised it, and releasing the pressure in the bottle . . . you only need to forget once though and the CO2 bubbles back into the FV Stirring up the yeast sediment . . . . Don't ask How I know

I'm not with you. Surely the CPBF can be used as a little bottler by just using the beer side of the 3 way valve, the gas side doesn't even need to be connected....or am I missing something :wha:

Does that not negate the benefit of purging the bottle with CO2 first?

It's my standard procedure even when filling under syphon from the FV . . . . . flush bottle with CO2. . . . Fill with Beer . . . Remove Beer gun . . . . flush head space with CO2 . . . Cap

With the CPBF there is that danger of forgetting to release the pressure in the bottle . . . unless as you say you don't flush the bottles with CO2

Right I understand now :thumb: . My logic I'm afraid :D once you compared it to a little bottler the thought of C02 never crossed my mind :roll:

You could simply change the bottle bung supplied with the CPBF, for a bung with a vent hole drilled in it, the bungs are only a few pence from baffcat.
I might be getting one now :lol:

Back