Beer gun v Counter pressure bottle filler

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Springer

Its a dogs life
Reaction score
This all got complicated after I started looking at my bottle filling technique from a batch priming bucket. :) Little bottler investigation
Got me thinking about one of the above for filling from a cornie. Am in the process of putting together a CP filler at the moment.
Now I can see why you need to pressure bottles with a CP filler but don't see why you need to fill a bottle with CO2 before introducing beer with a beer gun. :? Maybe a splash on top once filled I can see.?
Also would a beer gun, homemade of course, be usefull to filling bottles from a bucket. :? I am thinking that you could use 8mm tube for the beer delivery to speed thing up ? Might include the CO2 side in the build, for filling from a cornie. :hmm:

S

If you aren't bottle conditioning your beer then no co2 will be created to fill the headspace. Not a huge problem but having zero contact with O2 during the transfer process means less chance of oxidisation happening.

I've just made myself a beer gun out of my existing Little Bottler. I just used:

1 x "out" disconnect from the Cornelius keg
1 x John Guest 3/8" quick connect
2m of 3/8"food safe tubing

As you can see, it's very self-explanatory:

IMAG0842.jpg

The end of the Little Bottler needed a brief soak in boiling water to allow it to take the tubing inside it but once cooled it holds it perfectly:

IMAG0843.jpg

And with the addition of some 10mm tubing to the end of the tap on my bottling bucket, the 3/8" tube can be removed from the John Guest fitting and temporarily connected to the tap if you ever need the Little Bottler for bottling from the FV:

IMAG0848.jpg

That looks very good and cost effective, exactly my cup of tea.

Just wondering though do you not need a rubber stopper at the top of the bottle in order to counter pressure properly?

Also what about purging the o2 out of the bottle. If you havent got access to a blichmann type thing could you not use one of the bicycle co2 pump thingies to just blast in the bottle before and after?

Also for those of us that dont have a cornelius do you reckon if you batch prime and carbonate in a king keg or a tap a draft you would be able to use this thing if you cool it down enough and have a long thin hose?

CheapBottleFiller.jpg

Ok this is the easiest design for one that I have found and will definitly attempt to make onve my beer is ready.

Just need to figure out what tyre valve I need to attach to the air needle.

Wont be using the copper pipe, just a normal bottler.

Just hope it works with a pressure keg

I like the way this thread is going... I put a few beers in bottle each year so can't really justify the pricey ones - happy to try and knock something like this up though.. :thumb:

Thats the real issue Belter, is it a problem, cos if its not people are going to great lengths for nothing. :(

To my way of thinking R, this method is forcing air/oxygen into the beer, does it matter. :?

That really does look the same principal as a beer gun Paul, but no CO2, does it matter. :?

As you say, Salv thats the simplest design for a "proper" CP filler I have seen, but a bit messy to my mind. I think the valve is a normal car type used with tubeless tyres, plenty to be had at any tyre fitting shop. ;)

I hear what you say Belter re oxidasation and this is why Blinchmen uses a purge, but the gun is not subjecting the beer to pressure, only letting the beer lift the air out with a few seconds contact time and yet people say Rs method works.
Something is not adding up here. :? Is the length of time the beer will keep in a bottle dependent on the filling method :? If so what are the storage times, anyone know.

S

Come on Ferm,.......................... I welcome your unqualified opinion. :lol: :D
S

When I have done it before ( bottling from a corny ) I have purged the bottles slightly first.. I just used the same sort of thing you have built, but first connected to a Corny with just CO2 in it, dipped that in each of the bottles and popped a squirt of gas in - then filled them up. I only do 4 - 6 bottles this way every now and then, so it's ok, but not ideal - and I always think I am losing some condition and also some flavour ( sure the hops fade ) when I do it - I hoped the counter pressure method would help solve these..

Thought I'd revive this thread rather than start a new one. I haven't bottled a brew in 14 years but it's looking like I'm going to have to fill quite a few bottles soon for other people and I'm looking to make either a counter pressure bottler with three valves or a beer gun. Both are within my capabilities to make (former mechanical engineer and ongoing model engineer!), just wondered what are the benefits and drawbacks of each? I'll be conditioning in cornies and bottling from there. I like the idea that a counter pressure reduces decarbonation and oxidation. I also like the implied convenience and ease of the beer gun - one handed operation, less valves, etc. Either one will be made using either copper or stainless steel and will get semi-regular use (maybe very regular if I like it!) Looking forward to receiving advice and of course, when the build and test take place there will be pictures and a how-to guide to follow!

Wassail!
Phil

I've haven't used a counter pressure filler so can't do a comparison but I have the Blichmann beer gun which I think is the danglies. You can purge the bottle with CO2 before filling then fill and then purge the headspace before capping, all one handed!

Cheers Tim, I'm really liking the idea of the convenience with the beer gun and would probably be easier to make too to be honest. The counter pressure filler uses stock parts but more of them and fiddlier to use. Although the beer gun will need some machining and fabrication and more initial making, it should be no major job with tungsten carbide tooling. Going to cost up some parts I think, unless someone can make a good argument for the counter pressure filler.

Started making the 'beer maker' beer gun. Mounted the elbow in the lathe, skimmed and bored 1/4" for the beer tube. Turned a 1/8" bsp thread on a bit of 3/8" stainless tube to fit the brass air blower. Drilled and cut some 18 swg stainless plate to make the handle. Here's the progress so far :-)

Progress has been slow as i've been doing some considerable demolition and rebuild work on my house, but tonight I got some time in the workshop and pretty much got it finished. Only prob is I've lost the clip I bought for the seal on the end but going to get another and at last my bogart beer gun will be ready to test :)

Latest posts

Back