Beer has a metallic taste

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Libigage

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi all, I was running low on my AG brews so I done a couple of kits to restock. I done muntons flagship hazy ipa which I put in a newly refurbished corny bought from a reputable company we all know on here. The trouble is all the reviews on this beer were really good so I was very disappointed to get a metallic taste. All I can put this down to is that I didn't clean my keg properly. I have read a few threads on metallic taste but they seem to contradict themselves. My cleaning options are vwp, bar keepers stain removing powder and chemsan. Advice greatly appreciated as I have a brew planned for Thursday but I have the option to use a different keg just to be safe.

BKF is an excellent stainless steel cleaner and passivator. Give the insides a good all-round scrub then shake-rinse-shake-rinse many times. It's not only great for cleaning but it'll get rid of beerstone in its early stages before it becomes a big problem later.

Since VWP releases chlorine it should probably be kept away from stainless steel even though I've seen the manufacturer claiming that it's safe to use. It's great for glass though.

Back