Beer in A Bag

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mavroz

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi, bit of a strange question that i cannot find an answer to.

When putting beer in a bag & box to use with a pump, does the bag have to be sanitised inside first?

I can't find an answer but guess it should be as per bottle sanitising before filling.

Thank you.

(Posted a similar request elsewhere but i cannot see the thread anywhere now)

Never done this myself but I'd definitely say yes.

(I regularly move threads because people just put stuff about any topic in the general beer brewing discussion forum which would cause that forum to have a fast turn around, threads quickly moving onto page 2,3,etc and people not having a chance to read threads unless they look on pages 2,3,etc)

Never done this myself but I'd definitely say yes.

(I regularly move threads because people just put stuff about any topic in the general beer brewing discussion forum which would cause that forum to have a fast turn around, threads quickly moving onto page 2,3,etc and people not having a chance to read threads unless they look on pages 2,3,etc)

The post I made has vanished again, not on the first 3 pages of new posts?

Absolutely tickled pink.
Took a while to get to this stage.
Well worth the time and effort for very little expense.
Beer as good as any pub in your own home that is your own creation and recipe is pretty much unbeatable.
20200807_151225.jpg

Mavroz, that looks beautiful. I've recently started using bag-in-the-box for my homebrew, but so far feel something's been a bit lacking with my carb levels, and don't have the beautiful creamy head, or if pulled without a sparkler, don't have the nice frothy head. Any tips you might offer would be greatly appreciated. My bags expand quite a bit, and I wonder if there's too much head space preventing the beer from carbing. Have you had similar issues?

This beer has nothing extra added once fermentation has finished.
No dextrose sugar / priming solution etc etc.
It is left in an outbuilding at air temperature, around 11+ at this time of year, for a minimum of 2 weeks before drinking.
In the warmer weather the bags do inflate with Co2 which should be vented by removing the taps and gently expelling it, if they are stored in a warm place.
I can only guess if the beer in the bag Isn't vented, it will burst the bag as the pressure increases.... Also squeeze any air in the bag out before putting the tap in either all the way or partially.
I always aim for around 10 to 13 degrees for storing, even in an old fridge during summer months.
The beer in the picture is pulled through using a sparkler as all me ales are.
Hope this helps.

Thanks so much the info, Mavroz. Which sparkler you have best experience with?
So far I've been letting the bags condition inside a utility sink while allowing them to expand, thinking there was a chance they could burst. Turns out the bags are suprisingly durable. I've grown confident they can handle the amount of priming solution I put in. I was thinking not venting would encourage optimal carbonation, similar to bottle conditioning, as bottles aren't vented. Sounds like from your experience I should vent. Thank you.

Mavroz, is there anything extra you've been doing or adding to your mash to increase head retention or create a creamy mouthfeel? Maybe I need to work on my recipe construction?
Thanks again for any other insight you could provide.

You do not need anywhere the same amount of carbonation in ale used for a handpull to what there is in bottled ales.
Virtually none...... that is how mine is done.
Don't brew your ales too thin (watery). I keep my and around 4.5 to 5% which gives good results.
Flaked barley and terrified wheat additions depending on your brew give good head retention and mouthful.
I have a couple of different sparklers, to be fair, they both give the same result imo.

Latest posts

Back