Beer in my spunding valve

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DocAnna

Queen's Knot Brewing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Numpty numpty numpty... 😖

Overfilled my son's keg of beer and ran beer through my spundit spunding valve.. fiddling pifflefish.. really REALLY annoyed with myself. I knew how much beer to transfer and I pushed it.

Oh and to make it worse because I haven't labelled my kegs I used sparkling wine to flush my beer transfer line rather than the keg of chemsan.... 😫🙄 (I almost swore)

Any advice on how to deal with the spunding valve or have I killed it?

Anna

So I eventually found some instructions on cleaning and am reassured particularly that the gauge is suitable for gas and liquid. It is now in pieces drying on my desk.

Disassembling & cleaning procedure:​
a)DO NOT unscrew/remove the PRVmain housing. You may break its threaded ports.​
b)Turn the adjustment CCW to 0 to relieve the spring tension.​
c)Unscrew/remove the 4 screws on the clamp face to remove the adjustment housing.​
d)Remove the diaphragm to clean it and the PRV housing with warm water & Star San.​
The pressure gauge is suitable for gas and liquid so you can flush the SPUNDit main body with warm water and Star San before reinstalling the diaphragm on the PRV.Be careful and do not over tighten the 4 black screws to strip the threads on the housing. Remember it's the O-ring that makes the seal - not the hard plastic. All you need is to slowly and evenly bring the hard surfaces to barely touch each other on all sides- no need to over tighten the screws.​
IMG_0575.jpeg

Back