Beer kit recommendations

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just put my first batch of Youngs pale ale i to cold storage, but had a sneaky bottle last night and it was nicer than any of the other commercial beers I followed it with, so that is promising. Have ordered a Youngs IPA kit, so will start that in a couple of weeks. My wife is cracking up tho as I temporarily moved the microwave to the dining floor to make room for the fermenter and then the bottling storage phase and now I'm about to do it all again.

I'm tempted to stick with the Youngs theme after that as the weather warms up and try their new world saison, but I've never tried this style of beer and some say its an acquired taste. Do any of the supermarkets do a Saison that would help me decide if I like it or not? Don't fancy brewing for 6 weeks only to end up with 40 pints of marmite :-)

After that, I think I'll try the mangove jacks juicy ipa as I hear it mentioned so often. just the name has me salivating. Then maybe a brief turn to the dark side and try a wine to try and win my wife back before she leaves me.
I love the Youngs New England saison. First batch fermented around 26-28C using heating belt during warmer months. 2nd batch brewed in winter couldn’t get above 22C. Both lovely. Closest beer you can buy I can think in terms of taste would probably be Hoegaarden. Sort of clove flavour.

+1 for Mangrove Jacks Juicy Session IPA! Just gets ever better with further time aging in bottle. Mine now 2 months. Every one been good, and now fantastic, but sadly down to last few bottles!

+1 for Festival kits also. Especially Belgian Pale Ale & Dubbel, RIS, Razorback IPA, NZ Pilsner, Summer Glory, Weiss & Pilgrim. Found their best bitters (Pilgrim, Father Hook & Suffolk) do need decent aging time though to really come good.

@Ronaldo252 have you considered whether your water needs treating?

Even though only kit brewing myself (rather than mashing), still found half crushed Campden tab per 23 litres makes big difference to local Sheffield water and final beers. Any trace of Chlorine and Chloramine taste removed instantly.

Last edited:
Not familiar with the Beerworks kits but what type of LME do they come with, a branded type such as Coopers or a no-name can? Off taste with kits can often be due to old or substandard LME. There was some particularly horrible no-name DME doing the round a few years ago.

Another +1 for the Youngs kits, I particularly liked the AAA.

My water is good and actually tastes really nice . I now it was things I did at the beginning. Put the yeast in when the water was too hot amongst other things . I have started the juicy ipa and it’s like night and day the difference in the ferment already.
+1 to Mangrove Jacks Juicy Session IPA! Just gets ever better with further time aging in bottle. Mine now 2 months. Every one been good, and now fantastic but sadly down to last few!

+1 to Festival kits also. Especially Belgian Pale Ale & Dubbel, RIS, Razorback IPA, NZ Pilsner, Summer Glory, Weiss & Pilgrim. Found their ales (Pilgrim, Father Hook & Suffolk) do need decent aging time though to really come good.

Even though only kit brewing myself (rather than mashing), still found half crushed Campden tab per 23 litres makes big difference to local Sheffield water and final beers. Any trace of Chlorine and Chloramide taste removed instantly.
+1 to Mangrove Jacks Juicy Session IPA! Just gets ever better with further time aging in bottle. Mine now 2 months. Every one been good, and now fantastic but sadly down to last few!

+1 to Festival kits also. Especially Belgian Pale Ale & Dubbel, RIS, Razorback IPA, NZ Pilsner, Summer Glory, Weiss & Pilgrim. Found their ales (Pilgrim, Father Hook & Suffolk) do need decent aging time though to really come good.

Even though only kit brewing myself (rather than mashing), still found half crushed Campden tab per 23 litres makes big difference to local Sheffield water and final beers. Any trace of Chlorine and Chloramide taste removed instantly.

It’s love brewings own kits and comes in a pouch with no markings on
Not familiar with the Beerworks kits but what type of LME do they come with, a branded type such as Coopers or a no-name can? Off taste with kits can often be due to old or substandard LME. There was some particularly horrible no-name DME doing the round a few years ago.

Another +1 for the Youngs kits, I particularly liked the AAA.

Beerworks president Sierra and definitely mj juicy session, I've done 2 and got to do some more for the summer but trying to move into all grain, I am currently drinking the president Sierra, only been in the bottle since 15/2/20 but very nice, similar to the Youngs aipa but less abv
16152263005222532964293697581859.jpg

Back