Beer Labels

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 23602

Landlord.
Reaction score
Idea's for removing the sticky glue that BrewDog seem to be obsessed with? It just doesn't come off. I have gone through so many of the previous threads, but nothing I have tried seems to touch the BrewDog ones... Which is annoying as that is where all my bottles are coming from.

Have you tried the infamous oxiclean soak? I just leave all my bottles out the back in the rain then on bottling day when I'm doing the bottle wash they mostly fall off but if they're all tatty and bitty I use a wire scourer thing. If they don't come off I give zero shaites.

Have you tried the infamous oxiclean soak? I just leave all my bottles out the back in the rain then on bottling day when I'm doing the bottle wash they mostly fall off but if they're all tatty and bitty I use a wire scourer thing. If they don't come off I give zero shaites.

I've left them in the rain, I've soaked them in hot water, filled them with hot water, used most chemicals known to man and used knifes, wallpaper removing tools, wire, cloths and still nothing I do remove the BrewDog sticky stuff.

The only way I managed to get anywhere near it was with a long hot overnight soak in PBW in a coolbox so the heat was retained. I was angling for the glue to come off easily with heat. I had to then scrub the glue off. Got through about 5 of the 20odd I had stored and gave up. Binned them.

Most of the labels that have foil backed or plastic construct seem a total pig and not worth the time to remove.

You are probably better getting cosy with the local pub landlord for a supply that aren't so difficult to get the labels off.

Are the brewdog bottles anything special?

Nothing special, just always seem to end up with them. I might stick with buying them, found a place that did me 80 330ml brown glass bottles for £25 and was only a 10 minute drive. I just didn't want to waste what I had still.

I collect beer labels and if I want the bottles, them too.

Plastic labels : fill the bottle carefully (slowly) with boiling water. This softens the glue and you can peel the label off, but this usually leaves much of the glue on the bottle.

Wrap the sticky bit with kitchen towel and wet with white spirits. Leave it for a minute or two, then use the towel on the next bottle. The glue will have gone mushy - scrape most of it off with a blade then wipe off the remainder with towel & white spirit.

I collect beer labels and if I want the bottles, them too.

Plastic labels : fill the bottle carefully (slowly) with boiling water. This softens the glue and you can peel the label off, but this usually leaves much of the glue on the bottle.

Wrap the sticky bit with kitchen towel and wet with white spirits. Leave it for a minute or two, then use the towel on the next bottle. The glue will have gone mushy - scrape most of it off with a blade then wipe off the remainder with towel & white spirit.
I'll give that a go. Thank you.

Surely that would crack the glass? I know I've cracked window panes inadvertently whilst using a heat gun on the frame...

Idea's for removing the sticky glue that BrewDog seem to be obsessed with? It just doesn't come off. I have gone through so many of the previous threads, but nothing I have tried seems to touch the BrewDog ones... Which is annoying as that is where all my bottles are coming from.
have about 30 of the 600ml bottles, I soaked the bottles then peeled the label off, and to remove the glue oil on a kitchen towel worked great, read it somewhere on another place. ps=.s and alittle elbow grease.

I had terrible problems getting Brewdog labels off. And then I tried peeling them off before putting them anywhere near water and they pretty much come off in a oner!

I had terrible problems getting Brewdog labels off. And then I tried peeling them off before putting them anywhere near water and they pretty much come off in a oner!
I really hope it's not that simple. Kind of embarrassing that I didn't try it before sticking them in hot water... habit I think lol.

I have found that white spirit takes off the glue. Put a small amount on a rag and rub then wash with washing up fluid and very hot water to take the residue off.

Fill with hat water and peel the label off. Make a paste from baking soda and cooking oil and paint this over the glue. Leave at least 1 hour, overnight is best, then scrub off in warm soapy water. Works perfect and is fairly simple

For Brewdog I found a hot water soak would soften the glue enough to remove the label. Then sticky stuff remover did the rest. I’d wait until I had a few bottles to do to minimise wasting the solvent.

Fullers are my favourite - hot water soak and they just float off. Beer is tasty too :)

for ANY label hold bottle in cold water and rub briskly with stainless steel scouring pad. But for the best bottled beer EVER (Hophead bitter by Dark Star ), a 2 minute soak in hot water does it.

Have you tried a blow torch?

Or better still, eff messing around trying to get them off and just wrap them with your own labels.
I would, but I'd know it's there. One of my biggest kicks from home brewing has been the presentation of my bottles etc. And it would get under my skin knowing I'd just wrapped around lol.

Latest posts

Back