Beer line full of bubbles!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all.

I am hoping someone has a suggestion for me!
I have a lager in my kegerator. And ever since I've been pouring beer from it the beer line just gets full of bubbles, with the associated foam issues which comes with that! Now the beer isn't over carbonated. I've tried taking all the gas pressure off and pour a glass that way, but it doesn't help. Any idea what could he causing this?

Any ideas and what to try welcome!

Thanks
IMG_20201125_205925.jpg
IMG_20201125_205903.jpg

Those gas lines to the keg look pretty small, you might not have enough gas flow when serving, that would drop pressure causing co2 to come out of solution

What’s the bore and length of the beer line? It may be that you need a longer length of line or a narrow bore (you can insert a length of narrow bore).
It's about 2m of 3/16. Bubbles shouldn't form in the line though should they? It's all at the same pressure and temperature. It shouldn't come out in the line. Yes I can understand foaming on pouring, but not forming in the line?

Those gas lines to the keg look pretty small, you might not have enough gas flow when serving, that would drop pressure causing co2 to come out of solution
Hmm OK. They are 3/16th too. If I upped the regulator pressure and try to serve that might show if this is the issue?

Could it be anything to do with the height of the keg relative to the tap? Have you tried putting the keg below the level of the tap?
I don't think so, I've had other kegs in that position which have been fine. Could be an issue with the keg I suppose? Could try swapping it out for another one and see if that's any better.

In fact I don't think it's this, I've had other kegs using the same gas line and they have been fine.

I've had this once before with an IPA, it could have been the same keg. Maybe a problem with the beer dip tube?

If the lines are in the fridge then the temp must be constant so it must be pressure drop causing the co2 to come out of solution. If it happens when the beer is flowing then it must be caused by a restriction in the line somewhere so yeah if it’s a specific keg the dip tube might be a good place to look, possibly try swapping that or the post and ball lock with another keg

Thanks. Just tried to change the beer tube but unfortunately it's a different style to my empty keg so couldn't swap it! The o ring on the tube didn't look too good so I swapped that, but couldn't see how that would help and it hasn't! Will have another think in the morning!

Thanks for the suggestions so far acheers.

Don't know if this will help or not, only time I had issues like this was when I did a Helles lager, foam foam foam was all I got, previous IPA's were fine and I can only put it down to the fact that the lager was still fermenting in the corny. I took it out of the kegerator and emptied the C02 out of the corny, then two days later it was as though I'd filled it back up with C02

Don't know if this will help or not, only time I had issues like this was when I did a Helles lager, foam foam foam was all I got, previous IPA's were fine and I can only put it down to the fact that the lager was still fermenting in the corny. I took it out of the kegerator and emptied the C02 out of the corny, then two days later it was as though I'd filled it back up with C02
Thanks for the suggestion, I've got 4 kegs on the same manifold so if it was still fermenting I'd have thought the others would take up the extra pressure.

Who would have thought it was so complicated!

Was going to suggest the possibility of a pin hole in the beer out dip tube. Had one in one of mine once and it was all foam but you've ruled that out. Did you cover one end and blow down the other?
All I can think of at the mo.

Cheers. Tom

Was going to suggest the possibility of a pin hole in the beer out dip tube. Had one in one of mine once and it was all foam but you've ruled that out. Did you cover one end and blow down the other?
All I can think of at the mo.

Cheers. Tom
I didn't but I will! Thanks for the suggestion.

I didn't but I will! Thanks for the suggestion.
I had that problem and after trying what I thought was everything I forced cleaning solution through the pipes and system using a spare kegerator and found it did the trick.

Back