Beer lines?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meirion658

Reaction score
Morning all,

Just getting into kegging and wonder where do you guys get the beer lines from and what to look for?

Been searching over the Internet and with home brew stockist and there is a vast difference in price!!

I think everything you see over here will be the same material, MDPE (medium density polythene) and will be 3/8" (yeap, imperial!) outside diameter. Occasionally you will see 3/16" OD too. So it should all be about the same price!

The Americans seem to like 5/16" and will use flashy coated tubing too, but you may have trouble getting fittings for this size (if you can find that size).

I got mine from BKT with my kegerator kit and they seem really good quality.

I bought a short length form GEB for closed transfers and goodness knows what they used to trim the line with but it was raggedy AF - it’s a good job I had already bought my own line cutter tool so managed to sort it fairly easily.

The Americans seem to like 5/16" and will use flashy coated tubing too, but you may have trouble getting fittings for this size (if you can find that size).

GEB sell 5/16 line and JG fittings. I got my 5/16 reducer fittings for my online regulator (which has 5/16 connectors built in) from AliExpress.

GEB sell 5/16 line and JG fittings. I got my 5/16 reducer fittings for my online regulator (which has 5/16 connectors built in) from AliExpress.
Isn't the AliExpress stuff impregnated with delayed action nerve agent for sale to countries that wont install their Huawei 5g incoming missile guidance systems?

😈

Thanks guys I have seen similar items at the local aquatics center and B&Q as long it food safe will it be OK? Or should I stick to the getting it from dedicated home brew shop?

Valpar Brewmaster 2 from The Malt Miller. 75p per meter for the 3/8 and 50p for the 3/16. With the beer line I like to know what I'm getting. For the CO2 lines I'm less bothered but for the price I just buy the Brewmaster anyway.
Interesting. So we can get these US style multi-layered tubes from UK sources now.

Nylon? Doesn't that make it a bit stiff? Although the tubing has to be somewhat rigid to work with the popular John Guest fittings. And it is probably only a thin layer of nylon.

Though the older (and cheaper!) MDPE isn't that bad when it comes to gas (O2) permeability. If you really want O2 permeability checkout silicon tubing (sick...): Keep that stuff well away from your fermenting/fermented beer (but it is okay if not separating beer from gases you don't want in it - I use it inside kegs).

EDIT: From the sales blurb - "High flexibility compared to solid nylon tubes ". Well, that answers that. I'm sold! There's the "Gen-X" stuff for the severely O2 paranoid too.

Last edited:
Morning all,

Just getting into kegging and wonder where do you guys get the beer lines from and what to look for?

Been searching over the Internet and with home brew stockist and there is a vast difference in price!!

Pop round to your local Pub, quite often they will have an old Python hanging around. 3/8ths for the main line and 3/16ths to the tap using a variable preasure reducer betwen them. That'a a pro setup.

Latest posts

Back