"Beer Masters" Amazon Prime videos

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You should!

Next was an abbey style beer, then there was a dark strong beer so a quad or barley wine, the last was Pilsner. I’m missing one.

I think this of brewing generally, but from the two episodes I watched, the issues were all technique and process related, and success was dependent on that, rather than the recipes or ingredient choices. I suspect @Leon103 and @Hoddy would have done well, whatever they brewed.

The tripel episode being an example, that most failed through getting the carbonation completely wrong. And possibly too much colour development in the boil from too high a wort pH.

Last edited:
I agree to acertain extent but if it was solely down to that the Italian pair would have won I reckon. They were the best brewers it appeared but were maybe to safe with their styles.

I think this of brewing generally, but from the two episodes I watched, the issues were all technique and process related, and success was dependent on that, rather than the recipes or ingredient choices. I suspect @Leon103 and @Hoddy would have done well, whatever they brewed.

The tripel episode being an example, that most failed through getting the carbonation completely wrong. And possibly too much colour development in the boil from too high a wort pH.

It is safe to say, we would have thrown tonnes of hops at every beer

I watched the whole series and enjoyed it as a bit of light entertainment on a subject close to my heart.

However I think that to some extent it was flawed.

The brewers were from all over Europe but the beer styles were very "continental" for want of a better word. For example there was no chance to see Dutch, Italian and Belgium brewers make a traditional British bitter. This may have put the Brits at a disadvantage from the start.

I also think that there wasn't enough on the brewing process, it would have been nice to see some features on aspects of the brew process spread over the programs. I know that most of the audience would be drinkers and not brewers but perhaps an opportunity to draw people into the hobby and to provide some professional advice with some detail was missed.

Let's hope series two is better.

The brewers were from all over Europe but the beer styles were very "continental" for want of a better word. For example there was no chance to see Dutch, Italian and Belgium brewers make a traditional British bitter. This may have put the Brits at a disadvantage from the start.

i thought that too. I think three of the five rounds featured a belgium beer of some description. next series could be - ESB, US IPA, Stout, sassion and Munich Helles., or maybe broader - UK style, US style, German style, Belgium style and rest of world.

i thought that too. I think three of the five rounds featured a belgium beer of some description. next series could be - ESB, US IPA, Stout, sassion and Munich Helles., or maybe broader - UK style, US style, German style, Belgium style and rest of world.
This is my main criticism as well. To me Tripel, Strong Dark and Abbey style ales are all fairly traditional styles that can be semi-interchangeable, and the whole point of being “beer master” should be to be a good all-round brewer of multiple styles.

It looked like they were restricted to breweries linked to ABInbev but I would have thought it would have given them enough scope to test multiple styles.

08B6FAAA-CD60-43B7-B94D-6920BB94EDF9.jpeg

ADF130B5-AF1B-410D-8D29-C2C27BF00F2E.jpeg

Here it is. I don’t usually drink strong dark ales but this is quite nice. Rich smooth and fruity raisin/fig flavours. Doesn’t taste 9%.

7B88EEE0-8268-44A9-BCB4-3E85EED3E127.jpeg

I got my hands on some and it’s ok, easy to drink for 9% not too complex with a figgy undertone, but is it europes next great beer? I fear not.
But don’t let that stop you, what do I know?

It was refreshing to see a competition type show that didn’t punish mistakes with being kicked out of the competition. Would have been good to see an anything goes round where you just make your favourite beer!

Latest posts

Back