"Beer Masters" Amazon Prime videos

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Watched episode 1 last night, quite enjoyed it. Yes there's things they could have done better, but I like the way several countries are represented and the contestants and hosts seem ok. It would be good to watch with non brewing partners so you can explain some bits and look all knowledgable...

And that Jaega Wise? Never seen her before, but should be called Jaega Thighs... ;) :D

Phwoarr... athumb..

All brewed together, all on existing equipment.
Very interesting to read @Hoddy and @Leon103 input on their experience of this show.

Only one episode in and probably won't bother with more. Given the number or errors from many of the teams I was assuming they had been given new kit to negotiate. Certainly not the best of the best in Europe, then.

The thing that irritated me wasn't Mr Blunt, but Jaega Wise brushing off the British guys brew as being 'a bit homebrewie', and not elaborating what fault she detecting, and where many novice brewers go wrong. Suspect it was them pitching yeast into a mill pond flat bucket of wort with no aeration.

Felt sorry for the guy the dragged in to give advice on branding, then repeatedly filmed him judging beer, when he clearly 'normally starts on lager' and has no vocabulary regarding beer.

Probably a good show for the unenlightened and might encourage a few to dive in though.

Last edited:
And that Jaega Wise? Never seen her before

Jaega Wise is or was co-owner/Head Brewer ar Wild Card in Walthamstow. She's also done a number of things on TV and radio. An episode of ITV's The Wine Show which is available on Netflix (might be Amazon though) which is a brilliant programme even if you know nothing about wine. Also she's appeared on Radio 4's The Food Programme

Jaega Wise is or was co-owner/Head Brewer ar Wild Card in Walthamstow. She's also done a number of things on TV and radio. An episode of ITV's The Wine Show which is available on Netflix (might be Amazon though) which is a brilliant programme even if you know nothing about wine. Also she's appeared on Radio 4's The Food Programme
Yes I was aware she'd done a bit, but I'm in NZ so haven't seen her in anything. She seems an interesting person...

On topic, I've watched 3 eps now and it's still entertaining. The contestants were definitely chosen on personality/location/looks/back story rather than brewing ability, but that's ok. Quite like seeing some errors being made, makes me feel better about my own... 🙂

And never realised how teeny James B is. He seems jockey sized. Some of those big beers must knock him about...

two episodes in and I'm enjoying this show, its nice to have an entertainment show about something I enjoy and care enough about to shout at...Although even my missus who only takes an interest in the finished product and then only if it smells of tropical fruit was taking the **** at some of the big misses particularly from the Dutch Ladies and their inability to use the GF app or take an accurate gravity reading.

James Blunt is self deprecating enough to front it well, despite his lack of knowledge and Jaega Wise does seem knows her stuff, but it would be nicer if she was watching them brew and interacting with them a bit.

As others have pointed out the contestants have been picked out for qualities other than their brewing abilities.

All in all worth a watch as long as you don't take it too seriously.

two episodes in and I'm enjoying this show, its nice to have an entertainment show about something I enjoy and care enough about to shout at...Although even my missus who only takes an interest in the finished product and then only if it smells of tropical fruit was taking the **** at some of the big misses particularly from the Dutch Ladies and their inability to use the GF app or take an accurate gravity reading.

James Blunt is self deprecating enough to front it well, despite his lack of knowledge and Jaega Wise does seem knows her stuff, but it would be nicer if she was watching them brew and interacting with them a bit.

As others have pointed out the contestants have been picked out for qualities other than their brewing abilities.

All in all worth a watch as long as you don't take it too seriously.
I was a little shocked on how they didnt know their gear all that well. It was kind of like they had just got it. Still the second season will be better as itll progress. Look at season 1 of the bake off. Bit dull and flat compared to now

I was a little shocked on how they didnt know their gear all that well. It was kind of like they had just got it. Still the second season will be better as itll progress. Look at season 1 of the bake off. Bit dull and flat compared to now

That's my thought, hopefully it will make the cut and the 2nd season will be more of a competition.

I’ve avoided this thread until I finished the series. It really enjoyed it. I thought the Italian couple looked professional but most of the others not very experienced at all. James blunt was a revelation and quite funny. Who’d have thought.

The mrs loved it and kept pointing at the tv saying you do that, you’ve got one of those. I think she may have a new found respect for my hobby!

up until the last episode the experts of breweries were good but why choose stella for the last episode? Also think the brits missed an opportunity on not using Maris otter in their pilsner for some interest.

good show.

I’ve avoided this thread until I finished the series. It really enjoyed it. I thought the Italian couple looked professional but most of the others not very experienced at all. James blunt was a revelation and quite funny. Who’d have thought.

The mrs loved it and kept pointing at the tv saying you do that, you’ve got one of those. I think she may have a new found respect for my hobby!

up until the last episode the experts of breweries were good but why choose stella for the last episode? Also think the brits missed an opportunity on not using Maris otter in their pilsner for some interest.

good show.
All the breweries were from ABinv the shows sponsor. I guess Stella was used has it's widely known in the UK

I really enjoyed it too. I'm only a kit brewer and started last year. I am the James Blunt fan (yes, it's me!). I even got excited when they wheeled in guest critic Filip Peeters, excuse the spelling, a Belgian actor who I know from those BBC4 Saturday night foreign language murder shows. I am such a nerd!

It was an entertaining show. I do wish though that they gave us the information on the time taken to be and condition. The end of show get-together where the teams shared their beers looked great fun.

I for one hope they make another series.

Last edited:
I really enjoyed it too. I'm only a kit brewer and started last year. I am the James Blunt fan (yes, it's me!). I even got excited when they wheeled in guest critic Filip Peeters, excuse the spelling, a Belgian actor who I know from those BBC4 Saturday night foreign language murder shows. I am such a nerd!

It was an entertaining show. I do wish though that they gave us the information on the time taken to be and condition. The end of show get-together where the teams shared their beers looked great fun.

A week to brew all the beers and 5 to 6 weeks to ferment

A week to brew all the beers and 5 to 6 weeks to ferment

Back