"Beer Masters" Amazon Prime videos

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It said it all that the first “guest judge” only drank lager. The program is pants due to the production concentration on the personalities not the beer or process. Bake Off gets the balance right. Time for someone else to have a proper crack at this.

I am making my way through this, dont think James blunt is the guy for this, should be Brad and Johnny from craft beer channel, should show more of the brewing side, I was hoping to see real beer geek, Willy wonker and heston blumenthal love child, and to see sum home brew set up that are out of this world what ran by Oompa Loompas, and was hoping to get a real brew crush on them, But the brits look like a good shed but we didn’t see nothing much of it. But after watching this I felt empty and let down,

(written with a pint of tears in hand)

I've just finished watching this and I found it to be entertaining and worth my time.

However, I'd love to see a deeper dive into the nuts & bolts of the brewing. I don't particularly care for the label design / glass selection side that was shown, give me more yeast selection, water prep (not a peep).
Selecting teams that were both brewers rather a brewer and 'the mate who wanted to be on TV' (Dutch team excepted)

6/10 - could do better

I've just finished watching this and I found it to be entertaining and worth my time.

However, I'd love to see a deeper dive into the nuts & bolts of the brewing. I don't particularly care for the label design / glass selection side that was shown, give me more yeast selection, water prep (not a peep).
Selecting teams that were both brewers rather a brewer and 'the mate who wanted to be on TV' (Dutch team excepted)

6/10 - could do better

Completely agree that they could have gone a bit deeper into the brewing side of things. Really all they showed was milling and mashing, with a maybe a brief yeast pitch or two (I remember being surprised at the British time pitching straight from a packet rather than using a starter) - none of which was given any explanations so a casual viewer wouldn't have a clue what they were seeing.

I think if it was on again I'd probably end up watching it but I also wouldn't be upset if it wasn't repeated.

I watched episodes one and two last night. As a "bake off"/"sewing bee" type format, I think there's potential there. But my biggest thoughts revolved around who exactly is the programme aiming for.

Is it...

The type of seasoned poster on this forum
If so there wasn't enough detail to keep that person interested. It struck me as odd that they walked a load of the competitors around Camden Brewery telling them that sanitising stuff was important. You'd hope they'd know by that point....

Instead I would expect more of a deep dive into different methods, equipment flavourings etc. An explanation from the competitors of why they decided to use that sparging method over another

A complete novice they want to inspire to take up brewing
My wife watched a bit of the second episode with me. She's helped me with a few brews so isn't a complete novice, but more relies on me telling her what to do. But she still turned to me to ask questions. If she was watching it with a view to getting started she'd still be at a complete loss.

I'm surprised there wasn't a tie in with the sponsor to say "go online and give us some money, and we'll send you a basic starter pack" (Yes those kits exist out in the big wide world but many of us can remember the confusion on getting started and what you needed when we started out) Or even just a "inspired? Here's all you need to buy to get started" talk.

==

....as the programme almost straddled these two types of watcher it didn't really hit the nail for either and is why I think people posting here didn't fully enjoy... but why those outside the forum wouldn't have been loving it either.

I'm surprised they didn't just do it bake off style and get the competitors to brew in the massive room they had and have the presenters chatting to them ala Hollywood, unless they felt filming people in their homes helped with the "you can brew too!" sentiment.

A complete novice they want to inspire to take up brewing
My wife watched a bit of the second episode with me. She's helped me with a few brews so isn't a complete novice, but more relies on me telling her what to do.
If you apply for series 2, she could be your Nicolas.

going to recreate the show specs with our beers. should be fun.
I’d been thinking about that, but I think Tripel, Abbey and strong dark in 3 brew days would be a bit much for me. As much as I like Belgian beers (and I know the strong dark week was Hertog Jan which is Dutch), I would have liked a bit more variety. An IPA and an English instead of the Tripel and strong would have been better - maybe they are saving those for series 2 when I’m in it 😂

I’d been thinking about that, but I think Tripel, Abbey and strong dark in 3 brew days would be a bit much for me. As much as I like Belgian beers (and I know the strong dark week was Hertog Jan which is Dutch), I would have liked a bit more variety. An IPA and an English instead of the Tripel and strong would have been better - maybe they are saving those for series 2 when I’m in it 😂

are you going for it? did you last time?

are you going for it? did you last time?
I was half-joking. But they do it again for solo Brewers I’d apply.

I had seen the ads last time but didn’t because I don’t have a brewing partner, although I have my suspicions as to whether the winning pair contained 2 Brewers or whether one of the team members was acting as labourer so the brewer could enter.

We've watched three and have enjoyed them. Non-brewing GF thought there wasn't enough detail at the start of the first episode. It's a hard balance to strike. If compared to GBBO or Sewing Bee, most people who've never baked or sewn know vaguely what goes into a cake or that you need needle, thread and material to sew. And how many bakers are interested in how their ingredients are produced or sewers their material compared to, say brewers and their ingredients?

James Blunt is a good presenter, I think and ad many have said, great on Twitter. I think soemone from one of the You Tube brewing channels who evem many homebrewers don't know as someone suggested wouldn't have been a good choice. Someone like Jamss Blunt will draw in people who see his name mentioned and think "I might give this a watch" and also (this is such a generalisation) 'other halves' might be inclined to watch it with their brewing partner, rather than giving it a big fat "No".

Let's not forget,this is Amazon, not public service television. While programme makers may have a passion for their subject, as the end of the day it's all about bums on seats and how much you can make.

People often think programmes are the most important part of television. They're not. The adverts are. Programmes are just the filler around them.

Enjoyed watching it. I am relatively new to brewing so it is interesting to see different brews by different people and the challenges they face. At the end of the day it’s a light Bake Off like format.

My son let me use one of his free slots on his Amazon account, so I logged in on the sky Q and watched them all. I loved it! I won't tell you who won for anyone that doesn't know. 😁

I have to mention, there were times in the programme when I was peeing my pants at James Blunt! Love his dry sense of humour! I guess his management thought it was a good idea to get his face back on the TV before his upcoming album and tour etc happen.

Watched the first 3 and don't mind it at all. It's easy to be critical as we would all like a bit more technical content but it needs to appeal to a wider audience.
Never seen anything with James Blunt in before but he seems OK and likes a beer or three!
Shame they didn't go to the Leffe brewery in episode 3 as that would have been really interesting.
Making a Leffe Blonde clone tomorrow. athumb..

Dropped back in here to update and say I'm up to episode four and I think it's hit its stride a lot more as they're beginning to show more of the brewing and the thought and reasoning going into decisions from the contestants.

I did find it odd/unfair they were given different foods on the "food pairing" challenge though, a competition needs consistency

Back