Beer mixtures

Help Support The HomeBrew Forum:

Buffers brewery

Complicated Brewer
Reaction score
In my yoof it was common to enjoy a pint of brown and mild or a mild and bitter. I'm sure there must be others? Do homebrewers still partake in these beer mixtures or are we purists, preferring the single style? More importantly, is there a recipe for a classic mild and bitter?

the baron

Staff member
Reaction score
I used to drink Guinness/Cider I think they called it a Black Velvet but would not dream of mixing drinks nowadays just straight forward whatever it is

Sadfield

Landlord.
Reaction score
I often blend a bretted stock ale I made with different cleaner beers, a common practice in the old days to mix mild and stale beers. Local to Robinson's brewery, blending bitter and Old Tom Barleywine was a festive thing we used to do back in the day.

VW911

Landlord.
Reaction score
I used to drink Guinness/Cider I think they called it a Black Velvet but would not dream of mixing drinks nowadays just straight forward whatever it is
That was a "poor mans" Black Velvet.
A proper Black Velvet is Guinness and Champagne...
I used to love a Guinness and Cider, but doubt if I could face one now!!!

Buffers brewery

Complicated Brewer
Reaction score
So, back on the beer mixers, do you think making a brew using the recipes for brown ale and mild combined would result in the same beer as if you mixed a half a pint of mild and a bottle of brown ale?

Galena

Landlord.
Reaction score
Bitter and Barley Wine was one I used to see old men drink in the 1970's
A guy in our local drinks Bitter (Timothy Taylor) and has a bottle of Manns Brown Ale on the side, I haven't observed how he drinks or mixes it, I will have to take note next time I am in.

alfajerry

Reaction score
A guy in our local drinks Bitter (Timothy Taylor) and has a bottle of Manns Brown Ale on the side, I haven't observed how he drinks or mixes it,
If half and half in the same glass it's a brown split, used to drink that.

Galena

Landlord.
Reaction score
If half and half in the same glass it's a brown split, used to drink that.
Well he starts with a full pint of Bitter so not sure how he drinks it, whether he mixes it as the pint goes down or has seperate sips from each, further study is required ;)

lancon

Regular.
Reaction score
When I worked in a bar in N London early 80s, a popular drink was light and lager, never tried it myself.
Later when living in the sticks I did discover that half draught Guinness, in a pint glass, topped up with a bottle of Gold Label barley wine kept the cold out, but didn't help staying upright in icy conditions.

marshbrewer

The p**s artist previously known as JJSH
Reaction score
Do you think it would taste the same if brewed as a combined recipe?
Pretty sure it would be similar, except they were brewed with very different yeasts; that bit might be hard to replicate in a single brew.

I suppose the advantage of blending is that you you can have 3 different beers on tap using only 2 taps / cornies?

BarnBrian

Reaction score
Not exactly a beer mix but years ago while I was a Royal Marine I used to go to a pub in Union Street, Plymouth called the United Services. There was an old couple who were in most evenings used to drink pints of scrumpy topped with a capsule of lighter fuel!!!!!!

Latest posts