Beer planning

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cowman

Reaction score
So I've just finished planning my next 7 brews( only 1 gallon brews because there all being bottled) and ordered my stuff from malt miller in much bigger quantities than I need. Also adding a few new toys to play with of course. It works out at about £1 per pint! And for better quality than the large brewery's make. Feeling chuffed at my hobby with a pint in hand :beer1:

Deffo rejoice and indeed a great hobby but it’s best when we calculate the cost of a pint to turn a blind eye to the shiney stuff cluttering our brewspace, the water gas electricity meter, the hours we spend brewing and interwebbing, those failed brews and those that go down under duress. But we can savour that wonderful feeling when we drink our own brew, better still when it is a good one and best of all when the drinker says “did you really make this yourself”.

Deffo rejoice and indeed a great hobby but it’s best when we calculate the cost of a pint to turn a blind eye to the shiney stuff cluttering our brewspace, the water gas electricity meter, the hours we spend brewing and interwebbing, those failed brews and those that go down under duress.
Let's do a few calculations:
We've got a smart meter so I can tell you a brew costs me £1.30, ie. 3p per bottle
Water = free
Ingredients = varies between about 30p to 50p per bottle depending on beer type
Shiney stuff - only thing is my boiler which cost £80 and has so far done about 100 brews. 80p per brew, or 2p per bottle so far.
Time: it's me hobby. If I was sat in a chair watching Dr Who for an hour I wouldn't say that had cost me £10 would I?
Failed brews? None, well one to be fair but I drunk it anyway.

And getting cheaper every brew Cwrw666 plus if you drank it then it can't be considered a fail!
It was a Greg Hughes Ruby Mild. Tasted quite nice but when you got half way down your pint you became aware of a revolting fruity aftertaste. I keep my eye on the temperature these days.

As a new member but a kit brewer from Oz for 20 years or more, what is the need to plan so far ahead for your brews? I think I am missing the point somewhere!! HELP. !!!

As a new member but a kit brewer from Oz for 20 years or more, what is the need to plan so far ahead for your brews? I think I am missing the point somewhere!! HELP. !!!
In Cowman's case, if he's knocking out 1 gallon brews, he needs to keep the overall volume up. I've got a ten or a dozen fully formulated in the old brewing book and ready to go. One advantage is that you can save on the yeast by doing 3 or 4 or more say, pale ales and bitters, with one yeast by harvesting yeast and using it in the next brew, and then go on to do a batch of lagers or whatever. that way, the yeast isn't hanging around too long in the fridge and you don't have to bother making starters. But if you're doing kits, it doesn't really matter as (I think) the yeast comes with each kit.

Hi An I have done a lot of kits lately (to cold to brew outside) I never use the kit yeast on its own I use gervin and the kit yeast, just done a wherry with hog norst and kit yeast 10g hn 6g kit last 6 kits no twang at all, no I havn't found the answer to twang in kits athumb.. i just think yeast matters a lot

Latest posts

Back