Beer ready straight from Keg?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pms67

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is probably a stupid question but hey ho, I’ve just got into using kegs and I was wondering how can the beer be ready to drink after a few days from the keg but needs a couple of weeks in the bottle? I’m not talking about the carbonation I’m talking about the taste, I just tasted my Punk clone after 3 days at 5 degrees and 15psi and it doesn’t taste ready? I’ve had bottles of beer that taste green but two weeks later it’s a different beer altogether, I’m interested in other people’s thoughts on this.
Cheers

3 days at 15psi it is unlikely to be carbonated, I find a flat beer never tastes as good as a carbonated one.
However, I would also agree that all beers need time to mature. I burst carbed a couple of beers (40psi for 12 hrs then reduced to 10psi to serve) and the carbonation was perfect but the beer still didnt taste great. After 2-3 weeks the beers had improved massively and Ill probably never bother burst carbing again. Maybe a different style would be better, both mine were IPAs which I thought would be great fresh.

It's called green/young beer and although it can be force carbed in the keg it still needs time to mature though I've seen myself kegging and drinking within the hour only when I've nothing left.
Taste once a week or every other day and you'll notice the difference yourself and appreciate a bit of time as it's usually when the kegs about too kick that you say to yourself what a fantastic pint!!!!

Ok thanks guys, I guess it’s a bit of a homebrew myth, beer ready after 24hrs if you rock the keg!!!!
I thought all the flavours would need at least a week to infuse.
Cheers

1 week at your temp and pressure of your choice is a rule of thumb. Low and slow is the way to go as you won’t over carb and it gives the beer a week to settle.

It depends on how long the beer was in primary, too. I've had beer in the primary for about three weeks that's great within a couple of days of force carbing, but if I'd kegged it at 11 days it would have needed longer.

In bottles you're also doing another fermentation step with the priming and that's got to be smoothed out. Depending on the style and yeast it'll take different times. I've had wheat beers as good at 6 days in the bottle as they have been at 6 weeks.

I am brand new to kegging, and in my haste and desire to try out all the bits I bought, I burst carbed with a lot of rocking at about 30psi. Then after 24 hours in the keezer, got it out and gave it another good rock and then returned to the keezer for a few hours and dropped to 15psi. (pics in my shed thread) I followed this method

Beer tastes good so far. Sure it will be even better with time, but it is possible to drink it quickly - but you might well be missing out on a fully matured beer. I'll just have to have a pint every day to confirm ;)

Last edited:
This is probably a stupid question but hey ho, I’ve just got into using kegs and I was wondering how can the beer be ready to drink after a few days from the keg but needs a couple of weeks in the bottle? I’m not talking about the carbonation I’m talking about the taste, I just tasted my Punk clone after 3 days at 5 degrees and 15psi and it doesn’t taste ready? I’ve had bottles of beer that taste green but two weeks later it’s a different beer altogether, I’m interested in other people’s thoughts on this.
Cheers
Are you using the Cornies or a KingKeg? I'm also just starting out with a King Keg and a standard pressure barrel, currently fitting a pressure gauge on them.

35BF295B-89AF-416E-894F-9C0EBF9F0CD5.jpeg Corny, I only have one, for now..........:

Latest posts

Back