Beer Storage

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tweedie

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

So I have been home brewing now for some time and as I have quite a stock of beer I am looking for some advice on storing my bottles and kegs through the summer months.

As such I want to get a dedicated fridge for the garage to put my IPAs in but not sure if It’s a good idea to store then in a normal fridge at 5 degrees C or if I’d be better getting a drinks fridge that will allow me to keep the around 10 degrees C.

That said I do also want to use it as part of the conditioning process to help clear and carbonate so am leaning towards a proper fridge. I am not looking to make a kegerator at this stage so I want to keep it simple.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Andy

Sort out the kegs from the bottles and ensure that the kegs are on or very near the floor.

Then put all bottles either on the floor, or as close to the floor as possible. (Three bricks high at either end and spanned by a scaffold plank, can accommodate a lot of bottles.)

Finally ask yourself “Do I need to chill ALL of my beer?” and then use whatever chilling capacity you may have that!

In my Brew Shed, I can have 35*C registering on the workbench but only 10*C on the floor; so please check your own facilities before you start moving stuff around.
:hat:

My garage is built on a slope and I have a space the width of the garage, under the floor, made to store ladders and scaffold planks. The temperature varies only a few degrees (12-14C) and Aragog and his mates keep careful watch over my beer.
Dig a hole in a sheltered, shady place, line it with concrete blocks and make sure you've got a very thick layer of insulation on top.

My garage gets hot in the summer months. so I use a large fridge and with an inkbird and heater to store them at 8 ish degrees all year round.

Last edited:
Cheers for the advice….. I think a modified fridge is the way forward with an ink bird. That way i regulate and increase or decrease the temperature as required.

….. I think a modified fridge is (*) the way forward …..
Er …. you forgot to put at (*)…. the most expensive and ….”!

Assuming that we are in for a long/hot summer and increasing electricity prices, I suggest that you consider a cheaper and more environmentally friendly solution!

You know it makes sense!
:hat:

Latest posts

Back