Beer taps choosing

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NicB

Reaction score
I'm going to upgrade from the ubiquitous starter plastic 'party deluxe' trigger type to a more substantial 'maybe' fixed metal type.

The current plastic Trigger Party deluxe gun/tap I've been using has about 3 or 4 metres of 3/16" pipe to limit foaming.

What do I need to know before buying i.e. flow control and pipe sizing. Chrome or stainless, Pluto or fixed Etc.
I'm guessing there is a guide somewhere?
N¡ck

I have tried the chrome and stainless taps, and would always go for stainless. The chrome ones look great for a bit but always end up wearing through and looking a bit rubbish. Stainless are a bit more expensive but you’ll never need to upgrade down the line.

As I like taps with an auto-close feature, which involves a small spring inside the tap, I would go for a flow control disconnect as opposed to a flow control tap. I prefer the look of regular taps to flow control taps for one thing, but is also enables you to keep some head pressure in your lines, which helps to reduce foaming. You can’t use an auto-close spring with a flow control tap either as it interferes with the flow control system.

Lastly I now fit my taps directly to my 10L kegs, so I have the convenience of a party tap but with the robustness of a ‘proper’ tap. It also means I don’t have to clean any beer lines, which is a bonus!

I like intertap as you can change the spouts for other options such as a growler filler or stout-specific spout, but I’m sure there are others which are just as good.

Latest posts

Back