Beer will not clear, too much yeast?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard_H

Regular.
Reaction score
Afternoon all

I decided i quite fancied something like the Flying Dog Raging Bitch IPA which uses Belgian yeast so i used this 6+kg beast of a kit:https://www.lovebrewing.co.uk/founders-double-american-ipa-beerworks-craft-brewery-series

And due to the weather and the need of a Belgian yeast i used 2 Mangrove Jacks M31 Tripel yeast, i decided on 2 as this is a huge kit and i was worried with just 10.5g of yeast it may well stall

6 weeks later and the entire time we have been in this heat wave 21g of yeast took off like a train and gave a very hoppy 10% Belgian IPA. The only issue is this beer despite a month in the bottle shows no sign of clearing! Although it was very hot the brew remained within the yeasts temp range (just!) and i have zero hop debris.

The 2 things that spring to mind is was 2 packs of yeast a bad idea and left me with murky beer? (like chill haze)
or half the malt was lager malt, could this be the issue?

I don't think it will be excess yeast causing the murkiness as it should drop out over time so if you can't wait (Time + Gravity = Clear Beer) and it tastes okay I would just drink it as it is ...

... and tell any guests that it's meant too be like that! :thumb:

i might just keep tucking in then! tastes great and has carbed up nicely, at 10% it will take me a while to get through anyway so will keep some back for later in the year

Afternoon all

I decided i quite fancied something like the Flying Dog Raging Bitch IPA which uses Belgian yeast so i used this 6+kg beast of a kit:https://www.lovebrewing.co.uk/founders-double-american-ipa-beerworks-craft-brewery-series

And due to the weather and the need of a Belgian yeast i used 2 Mangrove Jacks M31 Tripel yeast, i decided on 2 as this is a huge kit and i was worried with just 10.5g of yeast it may well stall

6 weeks later and the entire time we have been in this heat wave 21g of yeast took off like a train and gave a very hoppy 10% Belgian IPA. The only issue is this beer despite a month in the bottle shows no sign of clearing! Although it was very hot the brew remained within the yeasts temp range (just!) and i have zero hop debris.

The 2 things that spring to mind is was 2 packs of yeast a bad idea and left me with murky beer? (like chill haze)
or half the malt was lager malt, could this be the issue?

I have used MJ M31 a few times and it does not flocculate well, compared to an English Ale yeast.
It benefits from being racked once before bottling (or whatever else packaging) and drops clear in time, as Dutto indicates above.

good to hear from someone who has used the yeast before, it is a big punchy beer so i was expecting it to take time to become good anyway

6 weeks? For a beer that strong?

Look at it again after 6 months. In fact it probably won't be at its best then, might need 18 months. Any yeast be it Belgian, British, whatever, is going to have a bit of a party in that sort of beer.

Latest posts

Back