Beer with a light apple taste

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lehmann

Reaction score
Hi all

I am thinking to buy some green apples and at the boiling phase add its juice, how much juice should I add.

The idea is just to give an interesting apple flavour.

Prost

I brewed a Bitter with Lallemand Windsor and Nottingham yeast and it has quite strong estery notes that remind my of red apples. It's especially pronounced in the aroma, but also comes through on the taste a bit. And it's quite different from acetaldehyde off flavours.

The only caveat is that I find it almost impossible to get Windsor to clear, even in combination with Nottingham. Every minor movement seems to rouse it again.

Hi all

I am thinking to buy some green apples and at the boiling phase add its juice, how much juice should I add.

The idea is just to give an interesting apple flavour.

Prost
Wilco's winter ale comes with a sachet of spiced apple additions and that tastes of spicy green apples it goes lovely in a dark beer.

Brooklyn Brewshop's recipe for Apple Crisp Ale (5.5% ABV) looks interesting, keep meaning to get round to it, only a gallon so worth a go not a huge loss if it’s draino! online and in the excellent book.

Cold water bucket on me.....

Mixing wort and apple juice is a "thing", it makes something called graf(f). So that's the search term you need to be using. I've never made one, but my impression is that people tend to be doing them more at the funky, mixed-fermentation end of things - although I did have a nice one once with Bramley. If you think about it, many ciders don't really taste of apples (ditto eg wines not tasting of grape), the main exceptions are eastern county styles made with very aromatic dessert apples like Discovery - the process of fermentation tends to destroy most of the apple taste.

So there's no real rules on this kind of thing - grafs can be anything from apple juice with a dash of wort to vice versa, it just depends on your taste, but don't expect it to necessarily be very appley. A lot depends on how set up you are for juicing...

If you can get your hands on Calypso hops, (crossmyloof have them) they're said to have a flavour of apples and / or pears. it might add a bit of something in the right direction. I used Phoenix to add chocolate flavour to a beer with no chocolate in it. Everyone can taste the chocolate that isn't there! It might work for Calypso.

Latest posts

Back